Lunch Box Ideas: Surprise Your Kids With These Yummy Japanese Egg Sandwiches
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 28, 2022 03:06 IST
Also known as Tamago Sando, these Japanese egg sandwiches are going to make your kids very happy.
It has happened with my mother and will surely be happening with plenty of mothers around the world when they have to think of packing something for their kid’s lunch. Since school starts early in the morning, it is natural that you would be looking for quick and easy options. My mother would usually try to make something that is hassle-free as well as nutritious. She would fill the small squares of my tiffin box with loads of quick bites like a chopped fruit, a sandwich, some nuts and a sweet perhaps. However, when I grew up, I was always fascinated by the Japanese lunch boxes. With plenty of reels circulating on Instagram, it was quite intriguing to see how cutely they fill the tiffins of their kids. They usually have huge compartments and the variety of things in each is amazing.
Now, sandwiches are a common breakfast treat that are easy to eat and make early morning. From vegetables to meat and eggs, everything can be dunked into a sandwich. Sandwich, for the unversed, isn’t an Indian phenomenon, but a popular British snack that was introduced to us in the 1960s. Our first tryst with bread was solely pav brought in by Portuguese and we created a veg burger out of it which we call vada pav these days. This time, we came across a fabulous egg sandwich called Tamago Sando. Literally translating to egg sandwich, this is a Japanese-style recipe that is popular as a tiffin lunch. Home chef @tadka_mar_ke shares a quick and easy recipe of the same with us. It is so creamy and tasty that if you love eggs, you will surely fall in love with this recipe.
Would you like to try? Then here you go.
Japanese Egg Sandwiches
- Boiled Eggs - 4
- Bread - 4 slices (makes two sandwiches)
- Mayonnaise - 2 tbsp
- Pepper - 1/2 tsp (as per taste )
- Chilli Flakes - 1/2 tsp (as per taste)
- Salt as per taste
- Fresh Coriander - 1 tbsp(chopped)
- Take three boiled eggs and add them to a bowl.
- To this, add some mayonnaise, pepper, chilli flakes, coriander and salt.
- Mash the eggs along with the other ingredients really well.
- Now comes the time to make the sandwich once the creamy mixture is ready.
- Take a slice of bread and place half a sliced egg in the centre of the bread
- Put the egg mixture over it, spread well and cover with another slice of bread.
- Press it down a bit so that the mixture gets sandwiched between the two bread slices properly.
- Cut off the end slices and slice the sandwich right in the middle.
- You will see a beautiful egg layer in the centre of your sandwich and we don’t think you’ll be able to resist it.
- Sprinkle some chopped spring onions over and serve with tomato ketchup.
- This cold sandwich doesn’t require any toasting or grilling and tastes well as it is.