Looking For A Perfect Party Snack? Try These Veg Spring Rolls By Chef Ranveer
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : September 22, 2022 06:09 IST
Spring rolls weren't always in the cylindrical shape but looked more like pancakes.
What comes to your mind when you think of cylindrical-shaped deep-fried snacks featuring vegetables enclosed in thin wrappers? Well, I have made it pretty clear that these snacks are our all-time favourite spring rolls. Spring rolls are a gem of Asian food; we cannot deny this. These are best enjoyed with a dipping sauce that varies from country to country. Let us know a little about it.
Spring rolls have said to be invented by the Chinese and date back to the time of the Eastern Jin Dynasty. At that time, the spring rolls looked more like pancakes. This snack was made to commemorate the first day of spring. As time passed, the snack evolved and some cooks started rolling them into the shape they are in today. Not many people know but these deep-fried snacks filled with cabbage and veggies symbolize wealth and represent gold bars because of their appearance.
Traditional spring rolls in China have vegetable stuffing while the spring rolls in the Philippines and Indonesia have meat filling. Moreover, the Thai spring rolls aren’t deep fried but rather enjoyed with peanut sauce while Vietnamese spring rolls have seafood and a different type of dipping sauce.
Undoubtedly, veg spring rolls can be a perfect snack for kitty parties or any get-together. On this happy note, we have shared a recipe of veg spring rolls by Chef Ranveer Brar. Believe me, this recipe is something you just cannot afford to miss!
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 Medium onion, sliced
- ½ cup capsicum, julienne
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp White pepper powder
- 2-3 tbsp Spring onion, chopped
- ½ tsp Corn starch
- Spring roll sheets
- 2 tbsp refined flour (maida)
- 1 tbsp water
- Take a pan and add ginger and garlic. Sauté until the raw smell goes off.
- Now add the chopped vegetables and sauté lightly.
- Then add dark soy sauce, sugar, salt, and white pepper powder.
- Sauté until the vegetables are half done.
- Now add spring onion and corn starch. Let it cook for a few more seconds.
- When done, remove from heat and keep aside.
- Now, defrost the spring roll sheets and keep them in a damp cloth.
- Place a spoonful of filling in the center, fold the sides and roll it to seal the end using the slurry of flour and water.
- Repeat the process.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Deep fry the spring rolls on medium-high heat until they turn golden brown.
- Place the fried spring rolls on an absorbent paper to soak the excess oil.
- Serve the spring rolls hot along with chili sauce and soy sauce.