Lemon Curd- The Trending Ingredient We Can’t Stop Thinking About
- Ashmeet Guliani
Updated : June 25, 2022 07:06 IST
Have you heard about Lemon curd which is slowly becoming the hot selling ingredient?
We are familiar with the various types of curd available in the market, such as plain curd and hung curd. But lemon curd is definitely something we're all hearing about for the first time. It's possible that some people aren't aware of this unusual ingredient. Lemon curd is typically not a dish or snack in and of itself, but rather an ingredient that is used to complement a variety of desserts.
It is, of course, an old ingredient that is supposed to have originated in England in the early 1800s. Although it has the appearance of a curd, it has a completely different flavour and texture. It's similar to a fruit curd, but it's created with lemon and eggs, sugar, and then strained through a cheesecloth. Lemon curd is frequently mistaken with lemon cheese, which is used in lemon tarts and pies and has a distinct flavour.
Lemon curd has long been used in the preparation of tarts, pies, cakes, sponge cakes, crumble slices, and other baked goods. They used it in mousse and ice creams, among other things.
Image source - Freepik
How to make Lemon Curd:
• 4 large eggs
• 1 cup sugar
• ¾ cup lemon juice
• Zest from 4 lemons
• ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into cubes
• A pinch of salt
• In a medium saucepan, whisk together eggs and sugar until fully combined.
• Add lemon juice, zest and sugar and continue mixing.
• Once incorporated, add the cubes of butter one by one and let it melt, keep mixing until no lumps remain.
• Continue cooking it until it starts to thicken, switch off the stove once it reaches a pudding-like consistency.
• Strain, let it cool and refrigerate.
As you can see, recreating this ancient English dish at home is extremely straightforward. The ingredients are also easy to come by.
It can even be used for a variety of purposes:
• By slathering this lemon curd on top of your basic boring bread toasts, you can transform them into something special. It's great for breakfast or as a late-night snack.
• Make basic cream cheese flavorful by adding this. After that, you may use it as an icing for cupcakes and muffins.
• This can be used to make cakes, pies, tarts, and even flavoured breads. This is the only thing that will make them taste better.
• This lemon curd can also be used in place of meringues.
• Combine it with plain Greek yoghurt and serve.
• It can even be used as a topping of pancakes and crepes by adding a dollop of this lemon curd on it.
It's a highly versatile item, and I'm sure you'll be blown away by its flavour. Please let us know how this dish worked out for your friends and family.