Koorka Mezhukkupuratti: The Tasty Chinese Potato Stir Fry
- Team Slurrp
Updated : July 13, 2022 08:07 IST
Relish the taste of Chinese potato with Kerala’s curry leaves and coconut
Potatoes are everywhere, almost in every dish across the world. Potatoes are used in preparing starters, main course, and even desserts. Endless number of delicious dishes can be made with this veggie. Potato Stir Fry is an Indian dish made with potatoes, interesting mix of spices, and fresh herbs. It is a quick meal to cook and eat as well. They are the right amount of crispy and strikes the perfect blend of Indian spices.
Koorka Mezhukkupuratti is a vegetarian, South Indian-style of stir-frying Chinese potatoes with curry leaves, garlic, and coconut tempering. It is easy enough to prepare a plate full of bright yellow and green coloured, flavourful and savoury meals of sauteed potatoes and coconut. The bold and fragrant spices add an excellent taste to the course meal and tempts anyone to eat one more bite though getting full. It is the best-ever Crispy Potato Fry recipe. Even the kids will love it. It is a comfort food along with sambhar, rasa, or curd rice. It is effortless to cook these stir-fry potatoes yet very popular.
Peru and Bolivia are the earliest homes to potatoes. The Portuguese brought this God’s gift to India. With time, they became very popular and gelled well with every other ingredient, be it spices, vegetables, lentils, and so on. It is among the Top 5 of the most important crops in the world. Potatoes are filled with nutrients of each and every kind, except for Vitamin A and D only. Hence, they are incredibly nutritious and are defamed unnecessarily over the years. Known as Solanum tuberosum scientifically, each part of the food, except the potato, from the leaves to flowers are poisonous.
• 1 kg Chinese potato (cubed into equal pieces)
• 3 finely chopped onions
• 2 chopped tomatoes
• 3 finely chopped green chillies
• 1 tbsp coriander powder
• ½ tbsp turmeric powder
• 1 tbsp garam masala
• 1 ½ black pepper powder
• ½ cup finely chopped coconut
• 1 tsp mustard seeds
• 2 teaspoon salt
• Coconut oil
1. In a large pot, pour the water and add cubed potatoes.
2. Put the pot over medium flame and add salt. Mix well.
3. Then cover the pot with a lid and cook for 5-6 minutes or until they become tender. Remove and drain the excess water.
4. In a large skillet, heat the oil and add mustard seeds, once sizzled add finely chopped coconut and chopped onions, green chillies, and salt.
5. Sauté the ingredients well. Cook for 2 minutes until the onions become golden- translucent.
6. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and black pepper powder. Mix the spices or masalas properly.
7. Add tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook until they become soft.
8. Remove the lid and give the ingredients a quick stir.
9. Now, add the cooked Chinese potatoes. Mix and fry them well.
10. Sprinkle some pepper powder to get an aromatic flavour.
11. Keep mixing the ingredients, then add curry leaves. A quick stir and remove from the fire.
12. Serve hot and enjoy the potato fry.