Kompot: A Delightful European Drink That Will Freshen Your Taste Buds With Its Fruity Flavours
- Ritisha Garg
Updated : July 09, 2022 04:07 IST
Be it winter time or summers, here is a soul-satisfying drink you can relish all year long.
Kompot or compote is a fruity European drink that can be served hot or cold depending on tradition and season. The drink is a delightful infusion of loads of fruits such as strawberries, apricots, peaches, apples, raspberries, rhubarb, and plums doused in boiling water and cooked until it dissolves all the flavours nicely. Mostly, the drink is sweetened with a dash of honey and sugar. It is blended with a hint of spices such as ginger and cinnamon in the winter season, which gives it additional flavours and makes a perfect drink to relish in the frosty season.
Kompot is a part of the culinary cultures of many countries in Central, Eastern, Southern Europe and the Middle East. This drink is synonymous with Uzvar and a similar Ukrainian drink prepared similarly to kompot. Making kompot is just as easy as any other drink. What makes it distinctive is that there are countless delicious ways to make it. Various fruits are selected, peeled, sliced, and boiled in water, depending on the season. The consumption of kompot has speedily declined since the 1980s. With food preservation in many South and Eastern European countries, kompot has been supplanted by fruit juice, soft drinks, and mineral water. Blend your fresh juice at home. Here are some steps for making this drink with handy ingredients.
- 5-6 strawberries
- 2 apple
- 3-4 plum
- Sugar as per taste
- Hint of cinnamon
- Handful of raisins
Steps in the making-
- First, combine all your favourite fruits. Wash them and then start cutting them into small pieces.
- Now take a saucepan and add water into it. Bring the water to a boil.
- Once it starts to heat up, add all the sliced fruits one by one.
- After a few minutes, mix it with sugar, raisins and cinnamon
- Leave the pan covered for at least 30 minutes or until the water begins to take up all the fruits' flavours and colours.
- Once boiled well, strain it into a glass.
- There you go, relish it piping hot to warm up your souls.
Taking a rejuvenating sip of this delightful drink will bring out that winter glow in you. So don’t miss your chance and give it a try at home.