Kitchen Tips: How To Pan-Sear A Fish Fillet Perfectly
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : July 19, 2022 03:07 IST
Is your fish fillet sticking to the bottom of the pan or turning out overcooked while pan-searing? Here’s how you can cook them perfectly.
We Indians can never get tired of boasting about the vast array of seafood that the country is blessed with. From varieties of fish to crabs and scallops, seafood lover Indians have a million options before them to choose from. Keeping everything aside, let’s talk about fish today. With a large number of fish varieties abundantly available in India, Indians have thousands of regional fish dishes to indulge in. From Amritsari fish to the delicious Bengali Machher Jhol, Indian regional fish dishes are a celebration of flavours, textures and aromas.
However, with the growing health consciousness, a majority of the population is shifting towards healthier alternatives. This shift has brought it with new techniques of cooking varieties of regional dishes too. Moving towards fish, numerous cooking techniques like pan-searing and baking have become popular. While baking is quite easy in comparison to the other methods, pan-searing a piece of fish can be quite difficult. Personally speaking, although pan-searing the fish helps in reserving more nutrients than deep-frying it, the wrong process and the trivial mistakes can turn your fish dish upside down. Pan-searing brings with it quite some technicalities to keep in mind to attain a perfectly cooked piece of fish. If you are thinking of pan-searing fish, here are some tips and tricks that you should keep in mind.
1. Use a cast-iron skillet for the process. The naturally nonstick finish will help you get a perfectly cooked piece of fish.
2. Heat the pan on high flame and gradually reduce it to medium or medium-low after placing the fish.
3. Use a little amount of oil and spread it generously in the skillet.
4. Make sure you place the fish skin side down first.
5. If you are using the fish with the skin on, pre-score the skin and gently press the skin down with a spatula to prevent curling.
We hope you will be able to attain a perfectly cooked piece of fish with these easy tips. Apply these tips and let us know if your fish turns out to be perfect.