It's The Festive Season And Why Millennials Should Be Left, Here's Some Quick Gudi Padwa Recipes
- Ayandrali Dutta
Updated : March 31, 2022 12:03 IST
Gudi Padwa is celebrated with street processions and dancing along with the hoisting of Gudi (kalash upturned and decorated with flowers, mango and neem leaves) outside the house, drawing rangolis and, of course, with festive foods.
Think Gudi Padwa and the beats of dhol-tasha reverberates in our ears and the thought of delicious meals comes to mind. The festival, which falls on April 2 this time marks a new beginning for the Maharashtrian community. It is celebrated with street processions and dancing along with the hoisting of Gudi (kalash upturned and decorated with flowers, mango and neem leaves) outside the house, drawing rangolis and, of course, with festive foods. While Gudi Padwa is a traditional festival celebrated with family and loved ones, now millennials staying away from home also look forward to celebrating this festival, albeit with a twist. With managing work life and household responsibilities, celebrating a festival with elaborate preparations becomes a challenge. However, that should not deter millennials to indulge and celebrate the festival and spread joy. Here’s a list of some easy and quick recipes that can be made with the help of Voltas Beko kitchen appliances like Microwave and refrigerators.
Recipe #1: Baked and not fried
Dish: Crispy Baked Batata Vada
Duration: 55 mins, Serves: 18 pieces
1. Peel, boil and mash potatoes with a fork
2. Add in salt as required and 2 tablespoon of chopped coriander leaves to the mashed potatoes and keep aside
3. Grind 2-3 green chillies, 1 inch ginger and 4-5 garlic cloves together and mix the smooth paste with the potatoes. The mixture will hold together when balled.
4. Make 1 ½ inch patties using your fingertips. They shouldn't be excessively thick or thin, with a width of around 2 cm being ideal.
5. Line a baking sheet using parchment paper. Preheat the Voltas Beko microwave oven to 200o C.
6. Brush the parchment paper with oil and lay the patties on it, spacing them out at least 1 inch. More oil should be brushed on the top.
7. Bake the patties in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes.
8. Flip the vadas over and continue to bake another 10 minutes or until the vadas are golden brown.
9. Serve immediately with chutney.
Recipe #2: Eat healthy even during festivities
Dish: Cauliflower Crust Pizza
Duration: 30 mins, Serves: 2 people
1. Preheat the Voltas Beko microwave oven to 180o C
2. Grind the Cauliflower in the food processor and place it in a large bowl afterwards
3. Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and microwave it for 1 minute until it is steamed.
4. Cool and pour Cauliflower on a clean cloth and squeeze the liquid out of the Cauliflower until you are left with a dry ball of Cauliflower
5. In a large bowl, combine the Cauliflower, eggs, cheeses and seasoning with a spoon until fully combined
6. Pour the mixture in a pre-lined baking sheet and shape it into a pizza crust ½ inch thick
7. Bake for 10-12minutes
8. Add the pizza sauce and cheese and bake for another 10-12 minutes
9. Cool for 5 minutes before cutting
Recipe #3: Keep it traditional for dessert!
Duration: 35 mins, Serves: 2 people
1. In a bowl, soak saffron in milk for 3-4 hours
2. Further add hung curd, powdered sugar, cardamom powder and saffron milk together.
3. Mix well
4. Transfer the Shrikhand in the serving bowls
5. Garnish with slivered dry fruits
6. Prepare this the previous day and chill in the Voltas Beko refrigerator with StoreFresh™ technology.