Indian Chicken Sandwich: A Tasty And Wholesome Dish
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 26, 2022 14:08 IST
This sandwich comes with the right amount of spices to bring out the best of flavours
Indian Chicken Sandwich is as easy to make as it sounds; with a little bit of twist through the right spices and cooking can turn a simple chicken sandwich to a scrumptious dish. A healthy filling snack and a quick bite to grab are fulfilled by chicken naan sandwich. Also, a great starter or a party menu, or a good dish for a get-together, this delicious sandwich is the answer to all. Not only this, a good amount of protein is achieved through this dish and the Indian twist with naan makes it just irresistible.
In 1964, the aristocrat, John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich kept ordering meat filled between two breads and from there the name sandwich was given to stuffing between two bread slices. Americans consider a typical sandwich as any two bread pieces with filling. The company, Chick-fil-A southern style chicken sandwich, introduced chicken sandwiches in 1964 through a fast-food restaurant chain. This sandwich had pickles on a steamed roll.
Sandwich became a common dish among the North Americans in the 1900s, which further spread to cafeterias and mess halls in the 1900s. This Indian Chicken sandwich discussed has a base as naan (Indian bread made with refined flour) between which marinated chicken pieces are filled.
Here’s the recipe for Indian Chicken Sandwich.
For the naan dough:
- 300 gms refined flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- Salt, as required
- 1 tbsp oil
- 100 ml milk
For chicken marination:
- 150 gms chicken breast
- 2 tbsps curd
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp black pepper and cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli paste
- 1 tbsp mint leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves (chopped)
- Salt (as required)
- 2 tbsps mustard oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- For the naan dough:
- Take flour in a bowl. To this add baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add oil followed by milk.
- Knead the dough till it becomes softer and stop sticking to the hands.
- Add a tablespoon of oil and give a final mix to let it rest till marination is done.
For chicken marination
- Add curd to the chicken pieces.
- Now, add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, black pepper, and cumin powder.
- After the spices, add a teaspoon of red chilli paste and chopped mint leaves and chopped coriander leaves.
- Sprinkle some salt.
- Now, add some oil and mix.
- Add some lemon juice.
- Allow the chicken to rest for half an hour
For cooking the naan:
- Take the dough and cut it into pieces of required size to make naan.
- Roll each piece into balls.
- Press the dough and with a rolling pin, roll into a flat round naan bread.
- Now, heat the pan and place the naan.
- Keep the flame low and let the naan cook for 2 to 3 mins.
- Add butter over the naan so it remains soft.
- Flip to the other side and spread some butter.
- After it is cooked, take out the naan
For grilling the chicken:
- Heat the pan and spread some oil on it.
- Place the chicken pieces on the pan.
- Let them cook for 5 to 7 mins.
- Flip to the other side when it is done.
- Take the naan out and put it on a plate.
- On first base, add mint mayonnaise followed by lettuce, then tomato, onions, and cucumber.
- Sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Add the prepared grilled chicken.
- Cover the second naan base over the chicken and close it with the help of a toothpick.