How To Make White Bread: Follow This Recipe To Make Soft And Spongy Bread At Home
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 27, 2022 14:01 IST
Struggling to make a perfectly soft, light and airy bread at home? Here is a fool-proof recipe to your rescue.
Needless to say, a perfect breakfast platter can never be complete without a loaf/slice of bread in it. As my mom says, “Sirf bread aur makkhan hi kaafi hai”; the word ‘kaafi’ justifies how sufficient and wholesome bread is. The soft and tender food is brimming with carbs and is enough to fuel our bodies for the rest of the day.
When the pandemic hit, I and my family decided to go all things organic and homemade. From cookies to chips, we started making everything in our kitchen. To save ourselves from spending more money, preservatives and trips to the market, we even decided to bake our bread at home. The first time we attempted making bread, the loaf became a clumpy mess. Then with some more failed trials, I finally got a hang of the process to make white bread at home. So, if you are struggling with the same, here’s a detailed recipe for you to follow.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1.5 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon oil
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a small bowl, take dry yeast and sugar and add lukewarm water. Mix well and keep aside for 10-15 minutes for proofing.
- Sieve the flour and salt into a big bowl and add the yeast mixture along with the oil to the flour. Mix well to combine.
- Now, knead the dough with your hands for 8-10 minutes. Keep the dough aside in a large bowl and cover it loosely with a napkin.
- Keep the dough covered for 1.5-2 hours till the dough rises to double its height.
- Grease a loaf pan with some oil.
- Take the knead to a lightly floured surface and knead it gently. Flatten the dough with your fingers to a round shape and roll it neatly.
- Join the edges of the dough and place it edges down on the greased pan.
- Cover the dough loosely with a kitchen napkin and let it rise for about 45 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, preheat the oven to 190 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Brush the dough with some milk and bake for 20-30 minutes.
- After the bread is baked perfectly, wait for 3-4 minutes and transfer it to a wired rack.
Try following this recipe to bake your bread at home. Serve this bread as sandwiches or toast or have it with chai and voila!