Here’s Sanjeev Kapoor’s recipe of thandai to lift up dipping energy levels on Holi
- Shifa Khan
Updated : March 17, 2022 16:03 IST
This refreshing recipe of thandai is a definite show-stealer for your Holi celebration. Check the recipe out!
The refreshing Indian drink ‘Thandai’ is what keeps us waiting for Holi each year! This cold, delicious and creamy drink is enriched with nuts, saffron, rose water, fennel seeds, cardamom, peppercorns! The flavour and fragrance of this drink are sure to hit your senses in the sweet spot! Enough said, we have a rich and easy-to-make recipe of thandai by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor!
This drink has a cooling effect on the body and tops up the energy meter that often plummets with fun, frolic and colour play. This drink not only treats the Holi fatigue but also is the most aromatic drink out there! To be honest, the festival of Holi is almost incomplete without this thandai.
Here’s the recipe of thandai we have been singing praises about:
5-6 cups + 1 tbsp low fat milk
20-24 almonds, soaked and peeled
8-10 black peppercorns, soaked
2 tbsps poppy seeds (khus khus) soaked
1½ tbsps fennel seeds (saunf), soaked
2 tbsps melon seeds, soaked
4-5 green cardamoms
1½ tbsps Sugar free powder
Large pinch of saffron strands + for garnishing
¾ tsp green cardamom powder
Sliced pistachios for garnishing
- Heat 5-6 cups milk in a deep non-stick pan.
- Meanwhile, add almonds, black peppercorns, poppy seeds, fennel seeds, melon seeds, and cardamoms in a blender jar. Add sugar free powder and remaining milk, blend to a fine paste.
- Add saffron to the milk and stir well.
- Add the prepared paste, mix well and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add cardamom powder, mix well and take it off the heat.
- Strain the mixture and refrigerate to chill. Transfer into serving glasses.
- Garnish with pistachios, saffron strands and serve chilled.
Preparation time: 3-4 hours
Cooking time: 20-25 minutes
Sugar: 110 grams
Sugar Free Green Powder: 15 grams
As an extra tip, Chef Sanjeev Kapoor suggests soaking the nuts and seeds in warm water so that it results in fine paste.
It tastes best when served chilled, hence the name thandai! Switch the market brought premix for thandai with this homemade version and make a pitcher full of this exotic drink. Don’t forget to share it with friends and family and enjoy the Holi cheer!