Healthy French Toast: Low-Calorie Toast for a Healthy Start
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 01, 2022 17:09 IST
Best French toast ever! Inside is fluffy and soft, and the outside beautifully toasted
Is skipping breakfast okay for weight loss? Absolutely not. Having a little supper rather than ditching it is a great way to begin the day healthily after several hours of fasting at night. French toast perfectly fits into the low-calorie and healthy breakfast criteria. Though this fundamental dish has a lot of elaborate variants, this simple recipe works wonders for a perfect figure. The recipe features wholewheat bread drenched heavily in a creamy, aromatic custard mixture, which is prepared by whisking egg whites, milk, maple syrup, basic spices, and so on. It is then toasted with a little butter and garnished with fresh berries and syrup and is best served with whipped cream or ice cream. The fewest items needed to make this delectable breakfast recipe are too quick to gather. Children will adore this, and their health will be preserved. Among the most popular and opulent breakfast recipes has to be this one.
French toast did not, in fact, originate in France; it existed long before the country was formed. French Toast is really referred to as "pain perdu", which translates to "lost bread" in France. This dish was created to use up all of the stale bread from earlier days when food was scarce and nothing had to be wasted. Around 300 A.D., in Rome, the first French toast recipe was documented by a Roman author, Apicius, in the ‘Cooking and Dining in Imperial Rome’. The decadent meal was known as "Roman Bread" for many years by the French people themselves. The world has largely embraced French toast today.
Prep time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Servings – 3
For Batter -
- 3 Eggs white
- 1 cup Milk, fat-free (skimmed)
- 1 tbsp Maple Syrup
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract, pure
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Salt, or adjust to taste
For toast -
- 6 Bread Slices, whole-wheat
- 1 tbsp Butter
For Garnishing -
- 1 cup Strawberries, frozen
- 1 cup Blueberries, frozen
- 1 cup Raspberries , frozen
Method Of Preparation
- Take a large mixing bowl. Crack the eggs and use only the egg whites for a healthier breakfast. Beat the egg whites .
- Add vanilla-almond milk along with maple syrup, vanilla extract, cinnamon and some salt. Mix thoroughly using a whisker.
- Transfer the egg batter to a wide bowl so as to soak the bread easily.
- Now, take a slice of fresh bread and dip into the batter. Let it soak the flavours in.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a non-stick pan over low-medium heat. Transfer the soaked bread into the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes on one side and flip until both the sides are well cooked.
- Repeat the same steps for the rest of the bread slices.
- Now, add fresh chopped berries and drizzle some honey/maple syrup for garnish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Relish this mouth-watering and healthified version of French Toast with Fresh Berries with a whopping scoop of whipped cream or ice cream. This delectable French breakfast will definitely be a sweet tooth without adding onto your weight!