8 impressive benefits of black raisins or ‘munakka’ that are too great for their size
- Shifa Khan
Updated : March 16, 2022 14:03 IST
Raisins have always been a common pocket snack but these benefits of black raisins are something you shouldn’t miss out on!
Commonly known as munakka in India, this little snack has so many other names such as Zabeeb, Maneka, dried grapes, and black raisins. Its sweet and sour taste is something everyone loves. However, not many know that this tiny treat of nature is loaded with nutrients. So much, that it will be a sin to not nosh on them and reap the benefits of black raisins!
Tossing the suspense away, HealthShots spoke to Neha Bhatia, a nutritionist, Senior clinical dietician, Shalby hospital, Jaipur, to reveal some lesser-known benefits of black raisins.
You May Also Like
Black Currant Benefits: 5 Splendid Reasons Why Black Currant Is More Than An Ice-Cream Flavour
Hawthorn Berry Benefits: How Impressive These Red Berries Are!
5 Amazing Health Benefits Of Peanuts That Are Sure To Impress
5 Benefits Of Oat Milk That May Even Impress The Non-Vegans
These Nariyal And Gond Barfis Are Sure To Impress Your Sweet Tooth
“Black raisins, traditionally called munakka in Indian regions, are commonly eaten after soaking overnight. They are a powerhouse of sugars (glucose and fructose), vitamins (ascorbic acid, riboflavin, thiamin, and pyridoxine), dietary fibers, and minerals (zinc, phosphorous, iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium). Munakka also contains different types of phytochemicals (plant-derived compounds) like flavonoids, resveratrol, epicatechins, phytoestrogens, and hydroxycinnamic acids’, says Bhatia.
Here are the nutrients found in 100 grams of munakka, according to the expert
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Protein 3.3 g
- Calcium 62 mg
- Iron 1.8 mg
- Potassium 744 mg
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Sodium 26 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79 g
- Dietary Fibre 4.5 g
- Sugar 65 g
Here are some awesome benefits of black raisins:
- They contain dietary fiber which helps absorb natural fluids in the body. This adds volume to the food moving down the intestinal tract resulting in regular bowel movements and relief from constipation.
- The fibers in it also help in eliminating harmful toxins from the body. Munakka might also be beneficial in improving colon function.
- Black raisins also contain vitamin B complex which is required for producing red blood cells. Due to iron content, it could help in anemia also.
- Munakka contains calcium which might help strengthen and de-mineralize tooth enamel.
- Black raisins are super rich in potassium which may help enhance bone growth, also decreasing the risk of osteoporosis.
- They contain vitamin C and antioxidants that might help in glowing skin and thick hair.
- Being a good source of potassium, they can help improve heart health and prevent these heart conditions.
- Due to its composition, munakka ensures a better diet quality, and having it before a meal could help regulate appetite in healthy individuals who have an average weight. It helps in weight-loss too.
You can nosh on them in every other way. The best ways to eat black raisins for reaping its maximum health benefits are as follows :
- The best way is to soak them in water overnight and have the water as well as the raisins in the morning.
- You can add black raisins to the boiling milk and drink it before bedtime. This will provide you with added nutrients and promote good sleep.
Considering their size, these can be easily added to your everyday diet. So, there is no reason for you to not reap the healthy goodness from them!