Top 4 Gut-Friendly Recipes To Try This Season
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : April 10, 2022 18:04 IST
Shorba to smoothies and juices: Here are three gut-friendly dishes for you.
A healthy gut helps maintain the individual’s overall well-being by contributing to a healthy microbiome. The gut is also the seat of all diseases, so we must have a healthy diet. All diseases begin with the gut, so their health is essential. So let’s make our food a healthy and tasty medicine. Opt for these recipes by Dr Ravi Shekhawat, Atmantan Wellness Center.
Berry avocado cinnamon smoothie
Cinnamon helps break up the intestinal gas, ease digestion and improve glucose metabolism. When combined with healthy fat and fibres, you have an addictive smoothie that eases your digestive system and is suitable for your microbiome.
1. Yoghurt/coconut milk - 1 and ½ cup
2. Avocado - ½
3. Grounded flaxseed - 1 tablespoon
4. Berries - 1 cup
5. Cinnamon - ¼ teaspoon
- Add the above ingredients to the blender, and blend until smooth.
- You can also add chia seeds as toppings.
Ash gourd, curry leaves, lemon and ginger juice
Ash gourds have a cooling effect on the body. It is high in soluble fibre, essential for the gut to stay healthy. In addition, curry leaves stimulate digestive enzymes and support bowel movements.
1. Ash gourd - ½ cup
2. Ginger - 1 inch
3. Curry leaves - 2 strands
4. Lemon juice - ½
5. Roasted cumin powder - ½ tbsp
6. Water - ½ cup
Method: Add the above ingredients to the blender and blend it.
Ash gourd mint shorba
Ash gourd has significant fibre content, which helps prevent indigestion, bloating and constipation upon ingesting a heavy meal. Moreover, its laxative nature eases discomfort experienced in the gut, thereby regulating bowel movements.
1. Ash Gourd - 1 bowl
2. Indian spices ginger - 1 inch
3. Garlic - 3-4 cloves
4. Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
5. Cumin powder - 1 teaspoon
6. Turmeric - 1 pinch
7. Coriander Powder - 1 pinch
8. Mint leaves - 5-6
9. Salt - according to taste
- Add oil to a pan, cumin seeds, cinnamon ½ stick, bay leaves 1 of small size and cardamom.
- Add grated ginger garlic and diced ash gourd.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder, and coriander powder.
- Cook it for 5-6 mins.
- Blend all of these into a puree.
- Boil the puree and add mint leaves and salt according to taste.
This is a traditional Lacto-ferment, rich in probiotics. Probiotics help crowd out the harmful bacteria that try to make a permanent home in our gut and slowly deteriorate our ecosystem. In addition, this food helps balance the gut microbiome, prevents infection, reduces inflammation, and increases nutrient absorption.
1. Organic beet - 1 large/2 medium-sized
2. Pink salt - ½ teaspoon
3. Apple cider vinegar - ½ cup
- Wash the beetroots, peel them and cut them into pieces.
- Add this to a glass jar containing pink salt and apple cider vinegar, and add water 1 inch above the pot. Close the lid and keep it for 1-2 days.
- When there is a reduction in liquid after 1-2 days, add more water to the same, stir it and close the lid for another 1-2 days.
- Refrigerate and use it.