Green Spinach Risotto: When Healthy Meets Tasty
- Team Slurrp
Updated : July 26, 2022 03:07 IST
Comfort food from Italy that will take away all your stress, Green Spinach Risotto is easy and nourishing at the same time
It has been a tough day at work. And now in the evening, you are hungry and irritated at the same time. You are thinking, “What should I have?”. Would it not be amazing if someone gives you a recipe for a healthy as well as a tasty snack? Well, worry not. Green Spinach Risotto is going to take away all of your stress and worry. This comfort food comes straight from the land of Italy. Also, with a healthy twist, with Spinach, you won’t have to call it a ‘cheat meal’.
Do you know that the defining recipe of risotto, Risotto Alla Milanese, was born out of a prank? Let us take a look at the history of the dish to get a deeper understanding of its recipe.
Where Did Green Spinach Risotto Come From?
Rice has always been a staple food in Spain and Italy for ages. Due to the climate conditions being conducive to rice cultivation, elites and the common man love the grain alike. Po Valley around these countries is one of the largest rice producers in the world.
In September 1574, an assistant in a Milanese church wanted to prank a stained-glass colourist. So, he added a pinch of saffron to the risotto that had been prepared for the maestro. This dish came to be known as ‘Risotto alla Milanese’.
The first mention of the recipe of Risotto, however, could be found in books dating back to the early 1800s. Rice was widely used before that too. But it was in 1779 that the tradition of sauteing it in butter and wetting it with the broth started.
Today, it is cooked with several ingredients including onions, spinach and beef. It is one of the most loved foods in Europe, with Italy being its top-most consumer.
Now, after making sense of its origin, let us have a look at the recipe.
How To Make Green Spinach Risotto?
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 400 g rice
- 1 package of frozen spinach, previously cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- Take a cooking pot and heat some olive oil in it.
- Now, add some chopped onions and garlic and roast them. After that, add rice to the pot.
- When rice turns golden brown add our main ingredient, spinach. Pour in some white wine and cook until it evaporates.
- Now, add some vegetable broth for consistency. Lower the heat and cover the mixture.
- Now, wait for the liquid to be absorbed completely so that boiled rice turns into thick and smooth semi-liquid.
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste. You can also add chopped walnuts.
- Serve hot and let the Risotto comfort you.
- The dish is a perfect way to show yourselves some love. It is easy on the stomach, yet gives numerous health benefits. The presence of Spinach ensures the right amount of iron in the dish. With carbohydrates from the rice, it becomes a well-balanced diet. Onions, Garlic and pepper give you that savoury taste as well.
- Now that you know the history and the recipe of this super comforting food, what are you thinking about? Grab your apron and cook away.