Got Leftover Rice At Home? Try This Perfect Tikki Recipe With It
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : June 12, 2022 03:06 IST
A quick and easy hack to never let your leftovers go to waste, this recipe is a great addition to your meal.
When you’re cooking for your own family, you know how much everyone eats, based on your years of experience to cook for them. This way, it is easier for you to assess the amount of vegetable and chapattis you have to make or the rice that needs to be boiled. This rough estimate or measurement usually works in small groups. However, if you’re throwing a dinner party at home and have a large number of people coming over, it is possible that your refrigerator would be flooded with leftovers from the night before. If you’re planning to throw them away, then please don’t.
In case of meaty curries and other flavourful Indian dishes, it is said that the food tastes better a day after it is made. This is because the spices and masalas get infused into the vegetable and meat very nicely, giving out an intense flavour. If there is some rice that is left over from last night’s dinner, the most common way people think of is to add some veggies to it and make it into a desi-style fried rice. We cannot deny the fact that it is a great hack and tastes well too without any curry, but we’ve got something different on our hands this time.
HomeChef Alison has come up with a delicious way to utilize the leftover rice and we are sure you are going to love it. She has shared an amazing hack to make yummy tikkis with the leftover rice. These can serve as perfect evening snacks the next day. Do you feel like trying them too? Here’s how you can make them at home.
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 large boiled potato
- ½ cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green chilli
- 2 tbsp coriander
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp water
- Breadcrumbs for coating
- Begin by chopping the onions, coriander and green chilli.
- Simultaneously, boil one large potato. Once it is done, cool it down and peel it.
- Now, you can begin making the cutlet mixture.
- Take a bowl and add the cooked rice and boiled potato to it. Mash the potato with the rice.
- Add in some gram flour or besan. Throw in your chopped onions, coriander and green chillies.
- Season it with chaat masala, salt and red chilli powder.
- Add some water to it and knead it with your fingers to mix it all together.
- Now, take some portion of the cutlet mixture and roll it into a ball. Flatten the ball on the palm of your hand and keep aside. Repeat this multiple times till all the mixture is finished.
- Coat the cutlets in a plate of breadcrumbs.
- Pre-heat a pan with some oil and add your cutlets one by one.
- You just have to shallow fry the cutlets and they will be ready in minutes.
- Serve hot with tomato ketchup.