Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory that has been advocated for its numerous healing properties since ancient times. Blended with honey, it can become a potent face mask that helps to brighten and nourish skin for a healthy glow. Read on for a simple DIY turmeric and honey face mask recipe.
Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory with numerous health benefits. An integral part of most regional Indian cuisines, the deep yellow turmeric is dried and ground into powder to make a condiment that seasons many delicious vegetables and curries. Fresh, raw turmeric which exudes a wonderful aroma is also used in many a variety of regional recipes for making pickles and subzis that are as nutritious as they are tasty.
The health benefits of turmeric have been advocated by the ancient science of Ayurveda since time immemorial. Turmeric helps to ward off infection, boosts the immune system and as a result also lowers inflammatory tendencies in the body which flare up while fighting disease. Using turmeric as a cure for glowing, healthy skin is an old grandmother's trick and involves mixing haldi and besan in milk to apply onto skin as a brightening mask.
Blended with honey, the anti-microbial properties in turmeric help to reboot a dull face too, by lightening dark spots and brightening skin tone, leaving behind a healthy glow. Here are some ways in which turmeric and honey can work towards giving the face a healthy complexion:
1. Reduces ageing: The vitamins and minerals present in turmeric work towards getting rid of oxidative stress which in turn helps to slow down ageing. Turmeric also reduces the tendency to attract fine lines and wrinkles and keeps the skin young and healthy.
2. Heals blemishes: Spots left behind by pimples, scratches and other stubborn marks on the face can be healed by the anti-bacterial properties present in turmeric. You can also apply a turmeric paste to particularly stubborn acne that might be the result of excessive inflammation in the body.
3. Anti-fungal agents: Both, turmeric and honey help to ward off fungal growth. Honey is particularly useful as a broad-spectrum anti-bacterial remedy. Applying a turmeric and honey mask particularly during monsoons will reduce the risk of attracting bacterial growth occurring due to increased humidity.
4. Opens up pores: Clogged or blocked pores on the face can be opened up with a mask containing honey. It also helps to combat blackheads and oily skin. Using honey to treat skin issues is also a very mild and comforting method of dealing with irritants like acne and blackheads.
5. Skin nourishment: Honey is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and natural enzymes that leave the skin feeling nourished from within and without. This gives the face a natural glow that leaves it feeling bright and healthy.
Honey and turmeric are powerful skin enriching agents and blended in a mask can help not only in brightening skin but also ridding it of toxins and preventing free radical damage. While there are many masks available in the market which are made from turmeric and honey, it is just as easy to quickly whip up a potion by yourself and apply it on a regular basis for healthy skin.
Turmeric has the tendency to stain our nails and fingers and can even leave a yellowish tinge on the face. Adding milk or yoghurt to the mask and wiping it off the face with cleansing oil once dry are some ways to get rid of turmeric stains.
Read on below to know how to make a simple DIY turmeric and honey mask at home that gives the face a healthy glow:
½ tsp turmeric
1 tbsp honey
Few drops of yoghurt or milk
½ tsp aloe vera
½ tsp rose water
1. Mix honey and turmeric together to form a paste.
2. Next, add yoghurt or milk that will help to reduce the intensity of turmeric stains on skin.
3. Add aloe vera and rose water. If necessary, adjust the quantity of rose water to give the mask a smooth consistency that can be applied across the face.
4. Apply the mask to clean, dry skin and leave for 15-20 minutes before washing the face with lukewarm water or wiping with a cleansing oil. Use the mask regularly for best results.