This Chinese cabbage dish is made hot and spicy with the popular chilli oil
Chinese cuisine enjoys a widespread fanfare in our country. Although what we have is an Indianised version of Chinese, sauces and a range of other condiments remain intrinsic to Chinese cooking, soy sauce being one of them. Another identifiable aspect of this cuisine lies in the extensive use of vegetables. From radish to beans, cabbage and mustard greens, there is no dearth of veggies that go into the making of a variety of Chinese dishes. One such dish is bok choy.
Also known as pak choy or pok choi, it is a type of Chinese cabbage that is made green and leafy. Distinct from our regular cabbage, it looks more like lettuce. The smooth and flat blades form one edge of the cabbage which is held together by a cluster at the other end of the vegetable. The good part about bok choy is that it can be made added to almost any Chinese dish, be it a soup or noodles. The leafy greens are crunchy and soft at the same time and can be cooked or even eaten raw.
Not only this, bok choy also comes packed with several health benefits. From acting as an antioxidant to reducing signs of ageing, the green vegetable works wonders on the skin by protecting it from dust and pollution. With so many benefits and such versatility, there are interesting ways to make it too. One such idea is shared by Slurrp Community member and home chef, @tadka_mar_ke. She adds some chilli oil to the bok choy and gives it a fiery twist. Here’s the recipe for you to try.
• 2 pieces bok choy
• Water, salt and oil for blanching
For the chilli oil:
• 1 tbsp garlic
• 1 tbsp ginger
• 1 tsp red chilli flakes
• 2 tbsp spring onion greens
• 2 tbsp sizzling hot oil
• 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
1. To begin, slice the bok choy and blanch it in water.
2. To a pot of water, add oil and salt and throw in the sliced bok choy.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the chilli oil. For that, take some chopped ginger and garlic.
4. Add spring onions and chilli flakes to it.
5. Then pour some soy sauce and rice wine vinegar in it.
6. Finally, pour the sizzling hot oil and mix well.
7. Take the blanched bok choy and place on a plate.
8. Drizzle lots of chilli oil on it and enjoy.