Fried Ripe Banana: Relish This Sweet Udupi-Style Snack
- Sushmita Sengupta
Updated : August 05, 2022 09:08 IST
How delicious are these sugary, buttery fried ripe bananas!
Wondering to make an ultimate dessert to complete your meal? This Udupi-style sweet dish prepared with bananas is a miracle. Most of us don’t get very excited about bananas even when they go well from chips to shakes. But, this Fried Ripe Bananas is an uncomplicated dessert that is rich, sweet and creamy. All the elements make a wonderful flavour.
The decadent dessert does not require any added sugars. Since bananas naturally lend sweetness. It is a high-carb sweet dish and gluten-free. Slices of bananas are shallow-fried in a pan along with butter and a sprinkle of sugar until they become gorgeously caramelised. They are utterly beautiful-brown coloured discs, with a crispy exterior. They are an easy morning meal to consume when you have limited time but still want something tasty and nutritious.
The treat can be prepared in just 10 minutes with just 3 ingredients. Due to its openness, Fried Ripe Bananas make the ideal sweet and sticky toppings for ice creams, pancakes, cheesecakes, waffles, sandwiches, as well as can be consumed plain like a snack and more.
Bananas originated 10,000 years ago in Southeast Asia. These were first fried in Ghana. Fried bananas are a type of snack yet can be enjoyed in many ways. The humble Bananas have numerous health benefits along with impressive taste. In tropical areas of India, there are a number of different cultivars of Bananas. Among the most well-known kinds are the Nendra, Dwarf Cavendish, Robusta, Hill Plantain, Red Banana and so on. Relish the goodness with whipped cream or put them between bread slices and enjoy.
Here’s the recipe for Fried Ripe Bananas.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
- 2 ripe bananas (nendra)
- 2 tbsps ghee/butter
- 2 tbsp sugar/honey (optional)
- Remove the banana peels and cut them into thin slices.
- In a large pan, add ghee to shallow fry the banana slices. Heat the ghee over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add the banana slices, one-at-a-time, in a single-layer, into the pan.
- Keep turning the sides. Cook until golden, 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Sprinkle sugar to caramelise the ripe bananas. With the help of a spoon, spread the sugar evenly to taste equally good and sweet.
- Allow to cook for a few seconds.
- Turn off the flame and remove the cooked bananas.
- Transfer the dish to a serving plate and enjoy.
A few points to remember:
- You can even add cardamom powder or maple syrup or dry fruits as well, to enhance the taste.
- You can add honey or brown sugar instead of sugar, according to your dietary needs.
- You can even add these fried bananas to the fruit salad.
- Store the Fried Ripe Bananas in an airtight container and reheat them in the microwave for another round.