Make A Delicious Miso Chocolate Cheesecake With Finger Limes
- Shireen Jamooji
Updated : September 07, 2022 02:09 IST
You’ve heard of key lime pie, now make way for finger lime cheesecake.
We tend to think of all sour citrus as fairly similar. Limes, lemons…they’re all the same right? Well, finger limes are here to prove that theory wrong. These small elongated fruits are native to Australia but are quickly gaining popularity around the world and they’re probably unlike any lime – or indeed any fruit – you’ve eaten before. When cut open these green beauties release a heap of small jewel-like segments, each plump and filled with juice. When chewed they pop and release a splash of flavour in every bite. This unusual texture has earned them the name ‘citrus caviar’.
Their flavour is similar to limes with a fragrant edge but much less sourness. Also, flavours tend to vary between the different colours which can range from purplish or greenish-black to light green or rusty red. Though they have a beautiful flavour on their own they’re usually incorporated into dishes and desserts where their sourness can elevate other ingredients.
For example in this miso and white chocolate cheesecake, the umami tones of the miso blend harmoniously with the white chocolate and the little pops of finger limes give it the perfect refreshing edge it needs.
- 300g digestive biscuits
- 150g unsalted butter
- 350g white chocolate buttons, or white chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 40g white miso paste
- 250g cream cheese
- 250g mascarpone
- 250ml double cream
- 6 finger limes
- Line a 9-inch cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a food processor, blend the biscuits and the butter together.
- Press the mixture firmly into the cake tin and refrigerate for 30 mins.
- Melt the white chocolate in a bowl above a pan of boiling water on the hob (make sure the bowl is big enough to sit on top of the pan, to avoid water spitting into the bowl of chocolate) and then stir in the miso paste.
- Turn off the heat and set it aside to cool a little.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the mascarpone and cream cheese. In a separate bowl, whisk the double cream until it starts to hold its shape.
- Gently fold the cream into the cream cheese mixture and then fold in the chocolate and miso mixture. Pour over the biscuit base and level the top using a spatula or knife. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cut the finger limes in half, then carefully remove the insides by squeezing out the tangy jewels.
- Slice the cheesecake into 6 or 8 pieces. Plate up and finish each slice with a dollop of finger lime jewels as a garnish.