Mediterranean in origin, this hassle-free oven-grilled dish is not just delicious but also packed with the goodness of eggplant and feta cheese. Fixing up a healthy and tasty dinner doesn’t get easier than this Feta-Stuffed Grilled Eggplant. Try the recipe and you’ll know.
Fixing up dinner after a long day at work can be quite a hassle, especially if you are tired. The inevitable choice most of us veer towards on such evenings is to order in something or make some form of ready-to-eat meal that comes out of a packet. Neither, to be honest, are healthy options even if they might be tasty. But what if you could whip up a hassle-free, healthy and absolutely delicious meal in no time? With this Feta-Stuffed Eggplant recipe, you definitely can.
This recipe, as the very mention of feta cheese might suggest, is Mediterranean in origin. These Feta-Stuffed Eggplants can be eaten as a complete meal by itself, but if you want some carbs to go with it, then we’d recommend some couscous to continue with that Greek theme. Now, when it comes to the health aspect, this dish has it all. Eggplants, also known as brinjal or aubergines, are packed with dietary fibre, plant proteins, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. From helping with weight loss to promoting better heart health, this veggie does it all.
But when it comes to feta cheese, some of you health freaks out there might shake your heads. How can cheese be healthy? It can, when it’s not processed or manufactured cheese but an artisanal one—which is basically what feta cheese is. This cheese is produced using goat’s milk, and is exceptionally high in protgein, calcium and phosphorous. Not only is it slightly salty and delicious, it’s also great for your bones, muscles and teeth!
What else do you need from an easy-peasy dinner? Here’s the recipe.
2 large eggplants
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tomato, finely chopped
½ tsp garlic, minced
½ tsp cumin powder
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
¾ cup feta cheese
1 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1. Wash the eggplants and cut them in half from the stem-side down.
2. Lay the halves on a chopping board, then using a spoon, carefully scoop out the eggplant flesh to create an even hollow.
3. Chop the scooped-out eggplant and set aside.
4. In a pan, heat some olive oil, then add the garlic, onions and cumin powder.
5. Mix well and saute until the onions start turning brown.
6. Now, add the tomatoes and chopped eggplant, mix well.
7. Add the cumin powder, balsamic vinegar and salt, and cook until the mixture is almost cooked.
8. Place the hollowed eggplant halves on a lined baking tray.
9. Fill the hollow with the cooked stuffing evenly.
10. Grill the eggplants in the oven for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
11. Take the eggplant out, sprinkle the feta cheese on top, then grill in the oven again for 5-10 minutes.
12. Serve hot with fresh coriander leaves on top.