Eid Special: Ring In This Meethi Eid With Restaurant-Style Sheer Khurma
- Sushmita Sengupta
Updated : May 03, 2022 05:05 IST
Eid is one of the biggest festivals around the world and 'Meethi Eid' is incomplete without Sheer Khurma
The holy month of Ramadan holds a special significance to every Muslim. It is said that it was during the month of Ramadan that the holy Quran was first revealed to Prophet Mohammad. During the month of Ramadan or Ramzan, when it is said that the gates of heavens are always open, most Muslims around the world try to observe the ritualistic fasts called ‘Roza’. In a typical Roza, one is barred from consuming a single morsel of food or even a drop of water. In the evening, everyone gathers for Iftar, a feast where everyone dines together. Ramadan concluded with Eid. Eid is the biggest celebration among Muslims.
Eids are of many kinds, but one of the most significant Eid is the Meethi Eid. Also called Eid Al-Fatr, on Meethi Eid people prepare a bevy of sweet dishes. Meethi, in fact refers to something sweet. The signature dish of the event is Sheer Khorma. It is a pudding that is made with milk, sugar, vermicelli and chopped nuts.
In Persian language, Sheer means milk in Persian and khurma means dates. No matter how simple or elaborate the spread is, this is one dish that is prepared in almost every Muslim household in India. And for this pious occasion we fetched you the recipe from Barbeque nation by chef and General Manager Narayan Dutt Sharma. Excited much? Take note.
Sheer Khorma Recipe By Barbeque Nation Hospitality Ltd.
This sheer khorma is available in their festive special menu that is up till 8th May.
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 cup broken vermicelli
- 10-12 thickly slivered almonds
- 1 litre milk
- 7 – 8 tablespoons sugar
- 10 – 12 saffron strands
- 1 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon chopped cashews and nuts
- Half tsp cardamom powder
- Take 1 tablespoon ghee in a pan and heat it.
- Add 1 cup broken seviyan or vermicelli or semiya. Break the long vermicelli strands with hands before putting it on roasting. Stir and continuously roast seviyan or on low to medium-low heat. Stir often while roasting semiya for even browning.
- Cook the semiyan on medium flame till it is golden brown in colour. Pour 4 cups of whole milk (1 litre) into the pan.
- This milk can be room temperature, hot or even chilled and warm the milk on medium low or low heat. Stir occasionally so that the milk or seviyan does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Let the milk comes to a boil. Once the milk comes to a boil.
- When the milk is boiling, add 7 or 8 tablespoons of sugar or according to your preference. Next add 10 to 12 saffron strands. Mix and stir. Now add 1 tablespoons of sliced almonds and 1 tablespoon chopped cashews and mix it very well.
- You can also add nuts like sliced pistachios. Then add half teaspoons cardamom powder (ground cardamom). Also add some dried rose petals.
- Cook the vermicelli kheer mixture for 3 to 4 minutes more till the vermicelli gets cooked and the milk thickens. The kheer is ready to be served. You can serve it hot or chilled and while serving put some chopped nuts or dried rose petals on top of it.