Eggless Crunchy Onion Rings : Crunchy, and Crispy Rings
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 06, 2022 22:09 IST
Have you ever tried making onion rings at home, only to get a soggy, oily and completely unappealing disaster of a dish?
Cooking onion rings is a two-step process: a mixture of flours for dredging and coating the onion rings, and a batter which sticks on the dredging of flour nicely. In today’s recipe, you will learn how to create restaurant-quality onion rings that are deep fried to golden perfection in simple easy steps.
Ingredients you need to make eggless onion rings:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp coarse salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1/4 tbsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup beer, preferably lager or pilsner
- 2 tbsp ice water
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 medium yellow onions, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices, separated into rings
Cooking Method for crispy onion rings:
- Cut the onion into half-inch pieces and put it on a plate.
- To the bowl, add some coarse salt, a little bit of white pepper, and half a teaspoon of baking powder to add lightness and crispiness to the batter.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together to evenly distribute all the ingredients.
- Since you’ll be using wet ingredients like ice water and beer, make sure your oil is preheated, usually at 375 degree temperature which is ideal for frying onion rings.
- For the beer batter, take a cup of beer that’s flavorful and mild, and 2 tablespoons of ice cold water. Then pour the same into the bowl of flour and mix it gently, till the texture resembles that of a pancake batter.
- For the dredging, add some salt for seasoning and give it a whisk.
- Take onions that are similar in size as the bigger pieces will take longer to cook than the smaller ones.
- Dip the onion rings into the dredging for flour coating and then dip them into the batter.
- Coat the onion ring properly with the batter and fry them for 3 to 4 minutes until they are golden brown on both sides.
- Give the fried onion rings a light seasoning of salt for added flavor.
- Plate them with a serving of your favorite dip or mayonnaise.
Lastly, goes without saying but one of the most important parts of an onion rings recipe is the onion itself. Sweet onion varieties like the Vidalia, Walla Walla or Maui offer a sweet and salty flavor to the dish, unlike the conventional yellow onions which have a certain harshness to them, and can be a little more punchy. When it comes to cutting the onion, an even thickness is best, usually half an inch per piece. If the onion rings are cut too thick, the outside coating can get burnt before the onion has a chance to cook fully on the inside. A well-made onion rings platter is an absolutely transformational food that deserves your time and attention.