Who said whipping up an indulgent, creamy and Italian brunch dish at home is difficult? This Chicken in White Wine Sauce is so easy to cook up that everyone can do it in half an hour! Pair the dish with some sourdough bread and enjoy your weekend.
Succulent golden-brown chicken that is perfectly cooked and white when you cut into it. A creamy sauce that not only carries the flavours of onions and mushrooms, but also the subtlety of white wine. When you dip into the White Wine Sauce with some sourdough bread, it tastes like heaven in your mouth. If this is what your weekend brunch dreams look like, then here’s a little secret. You don’t need to go to an expensive Italian restaurant to get a taste of such an indulgent dish. All you need is this easy-peasy Chicken in White Wine Sauce recipe.
This recipe is easy not only because the ingredients are easy to find—you can even get a dry white wine easily at your local alcohol store—but also because it is a comfortable way to try high-end Italian cooking with very little effort. Almost like a bechamel or white sauce in consistency, the White Wine Sauce is creamy—and yet, it doesn’t reek of alcohol, thanks to the cooking method and the fact that white wine is much subtler than red wine or vodka. The latter two can easily leave a stronger flavour on a sauce, but this White Wine Sauce is very easy to balance perfectly.
A sure-shot way to get this simple but sophisticated recipe right is to nail every component of the recipe properly. Dry the chicken pieces before frying them to ensure they will brown properly. Brown the garlic after adding it, but make sure they don’t burn—that will ruin everything. Give the onions and mushrooms enough time on a low flame to ensure they caramelize properly. Don’t undercook the white wine, and once you add the cream, make sure the heat doesn’t make the sauce split. With these easy tips at hand, you can whip up this Chicken in White wine Sauce with all the comfort your weekend deserves. Here’s the recipe.
Image used for representative purpose. Image courtesy: saltandlavender.com
2 large chicken breasts
1 onion, sliced
½ cup button mushrooms, sliced
5-6 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup flour
3 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp black pepper powder
½ cup dry white wine
¾ cup fresh cream
½ tsp Italian seasoning
Parsley leaves, to garnish
1. Cut the chicken lengthwise in half to get four chicken pieces.
2. Wash and dry the chicken pieces, then sprinkle salt and pepper to coat each piece.
3. Dip the chicken pieces in the flour to coat them well.
4. Heat a pan, then add olive oil and one tablespoon of the butter.
5. Place the chicken pieces in the pan, then brown them on both sides for at least five minutes each.
6. Transfer the browned chicken onto a plate.
7. Add the remaining butter in the pan, then add the minced garlic, onions and mushrooms.
8. Saute the veggies until they turn brown, then add the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning.
9. Mix well, then add the white wine.
10. Mix again and cook the wine for two-three minutes.
11. Reduce the liquid by half, then stir in the cream.
12. Mix well then add the chicken pieces back.
13. Cook the chicken for five minutes or more, until the sauce thickens up.
14. Garnish with parsley and serve hot.