Doi Murgi: A Scrumptious Chicken Curry Perfect For Lunch
- Jasmine Kaur
Updated : December 01, 2022 03:12 IST
This indulgent Bengali dish can be a great choice for your weekend meals too
While hot and spicy curries are common in many regional Indian cuisines, there are milder versions too that are often enjoyed. Light spices, souring agents like tomatoes as well as dairy products like curd give way to some delightful dishes. If you’re bored of cooking the same old classic chicken curry, it is time to try Doi Murgi.
‘Doi’ refers to ‘yoghurt’ or ‘curd’, while ‘murgi’ means ‘chicken’. Clubbed together, they form a delicious curry, dunked with succulent pieces of chicken . A heavenly treat for all the non-vegetarians, this Bengali-style chicken curry has a very refreshing taste due to the addition of curd. The best part about this dish is that it highlights the versatility of curd, which is commonly used for both sweet and savoury dishes.
The chicken is fried before being added to the curry so that the flavours of the spices are retained in the chicken pieces. Slow-braised and cooked with mild spices, it is the ultimate comfort food on a relaxing Sunday. Pair your aromatic chicken curry with roti or steamed rice and dig in right away. Here’s a recipe that you can try at home.
You May Also Like
Murgh Lahori: This Hot And Tempting Chicken Curry Is Indulgence Overload
This Besani Murgh Is Screaming Indulgence: Try It For Lunch Today
Pair This Chingri Malai Curry With Rice For Lunch Today
Murgir Laal Jhol: Homestyle Bengali Chicken Curry
Kaali Mirch Ka Murgh: White Chicken Stew With Flavourful Curry
• 300 gm curd
• ½ kg chicken
• 1 tsp roasted garam masala powder
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 chopped onions
• 2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
• 2 dried red chillies
• Begin by marinating the chicken pieces in curd and salt.
• Keep it in the marination overnight so that it absorbs the thickness of the curd.
• Next, sauté onions in a pan and let them turn golden-brown.
• Add ginger garlic paste and roasted garam masala powder to this.
• Mix it all together and then throw in the marinated chicken.
• Pour in the remaining marination and add some water to make gravy.
• Let it cook on a low flame so that the flavours seep into the chicken perfectly.
• Garnish with bay leaves and some fried onions and serve hot.