Delicious Tomato Flavoured Yogurt For Days When You’re Out of Vegetables
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 02, 2022 21:08 IST
Try Tomato Tambuli with Rice or Idli to enhance the taste, you’ll love it.
Tomato Tambuli is a great side dish that goes well with rice. Essentially, curd or yoghurt is used to produce this delicacy from udupi cuisine. Tambuli dishes may also be made from a variety of different veggies in addition to tomatoes. The flavour of a tomato tambli is tangy and spicy. For the finest taste, always choose ripe, fresh tomatoes. You must also make sure that you use fresh coconut and coconut oil for the most flavorful results. A simple and delicious side dish for rice, idli, or dosa is tomato thambli. It takes only five minutes to prepare. Tomato, curd, coconut, green chilie (you may also use red chillies in place of green ones), cumin, and mustard are the main ingredients in tomato thambli or tambuli. It is also important to use tangy curd sparingly. Since tomatoes already have a mild tang, adding fresh curd is ideal. The English translation of sasmi/sasime is "mustard-flavoured coconut and yoghurt gravy." One of the genuine Karnataka coastal dishes is this. In essence, it is a gravy made by adding curd or buttermilk to a mixture of mustard, coconut, chilli, and any vegetable of your choice. Depending on the sasmi you are doing, it may be a cooked or no-cook variation. Sasmi calls for a significant amount of coconut, which is a staple of Udupi cuisine.
If you have rice and sambar or dal for lunch or supper, adding "Sasime" on the side makes for a filling and delicious meal. (Such as raita.) This meal has a fantastic flavour and scent thanks to the potent mustard seeds in the sauce. If you plan to serve the meal later, store it in the fridge after preparation. This aids in keeping the curd from spoiling.
1. 1 tsp Ghee
2. 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
3. 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
4. 2 nos. Green chillies (you can choose to add red chilly or pepper too)
5. 1/4 cup Grated coconut
6. 1 tsp Salt
7. 1/2 cup Buttermilk or whisked yoghurt
1. 1 tsp Oil
2. 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3. 1/2 tsp White lentils
Few curry leaves
1 no. Red chilly
SERVES 3 people
1. Heat 1/2 tbsp ghee in a kadhai. Add in cumin seeds, roughly one chopped green chilli and two chopped tomatoes.
2. Fry everything for two minutes or until the tomatoes are soft
3. Transfer the fried tomatoes and fried green chilli into a mixer jar.
4. Add in 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut. Grind until the mixture is smooth. Add water if needed.
5. Transfer it into a bowl. Add salt and 1/2 cup whisked curd.
6. Stir it well so everything is incorporated evenly
7. In a big ladle, heat oil with red chilli, mustard, white lentils, curry leaves and cumin seeds till it splutters
8. Immediately pour it into the tomato mixture after removing the ladle from the heat.
9. Garnish the tomato Tambuli with coriander leaves. Serve it with either rice, dosa or idli.
Wow! Wasn’t that the best use of tomato and curd?