Cumin-Curried Chicken: Hearty and Homely Cumin And Chicken Delish
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 29, 2022 15:08 IST
Tempting, convenient, and equally wonderful, homely Cumin Chicken Curry is a comforting meal for your cravings
Rich, thick, and saucy describes this Cumin Chicken Curry with Indian influences. It is a straightforward Chicken Curry that provides a simply wonderful arena to the understated and humble cumin to outshine. Cumin and black pepper are first roasted and then grounded for they taste better like that. Dominated by the strong cumin taste and aroma, the versatile flavours of cumin harmoniously combine well with other spices. All in all, the balanced blend of ground aromatic spices provide the gravy incredible depth and flavour and a delicious Cumin Curried Chicken emerges. This chicken curry does not involve any cream or yoghurt. It is cost-efficient, quick, simple and a palatable dish with just a few ingredients, which will be devoured in no minutes.
Cumin has been cultivated in Western Asia since biblical times used as flavouring in foods. Today, India and Iran are the major producers of Cumin. Chicken curry is an Indian-originated delicacy. The traditional curry was invented 8000 years ago. The term ‘curry’ is drawn from the Tamil name ‘kari’ that refers to sauce or gravy and is spoken throughout India and Sri Lanka. The first chicken curry, called ‘Country Captain Chicken’ and was documented on 26 April, 1792 in Madras. Curry or Kari is a versatile dish and can be prepared with meat and vegetables infusing the region-varied blend of spices. The spice mix used to prepare curry is high in anti-inflammatory properties which lowers oxidative stress, improves heart health, and lowers blood sugar levels, among other nutritional benefits.
Total Time : 1 hour
Servings : 2
For marinade –
- 400 gm Chicken
- 1 cup Shallots
- 2 tbsp Coriander Seed Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 8-10 Garlic Cloves
- 2-inch Ginger, chopped
- 4-5 Green Chillies, chopped
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Green Cardamom Pods
- 2-3 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds, roasted
- Water, as needed
For Gravy –
- 3 tbsp Oil
- Water, as needed
- Salt, adjust as per taste
- 1 tsp Cumin and Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper Powder, roasted
For Garnish –
- Ginger, juliennes
- Tomato, juliennes
- Coriander sprig
- Take a mixer-grinder and add shallots, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric, garlic, ginger, green chillies, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and roasted cumin seeds. Further add some water to make a fine marinade paste
- Transfer the marinade in a bowl containing chicken chunks. Mix thoroughly so as to infuse in the flavours. Let it rest for 30-40 minutes
- Heat some oil in a saucepan, and add the marinated chicken. Keep stirring in intervals.
- Once the moisture is evaporated, add more water to the chicken. This will keep the chicken juicy and tender
- Cook for a few minutes and then add salt, followed by the cumin and pepper powder.
- Now, add the roasted pepper powder. Mix thoroughly well
- Finally, add the coriander leaves and give a nice stir
- Let it simmer for 3-4 minutes
- Then, cover and cook for at least 10-12 minutes
- Remove the lid and mix and turn off the heat
- Let it sit for 5 minutes and transfer to a serving dish
- Garnish with ginger and tomato juliennes along with a sprig of coriander
Serve hot !
Scoop up all this Cumin-Curried Chicken, ideally with freshly cooked hot naans, or phulkas. Enjoy it with jeera rice, or plain rice along with a chilled glass of buttermilk!