Cornflake Marshmallow Cookies: Delights Of Melted Marshmallows And Cornflakes For A Sinful Indulgence
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 11, 2022 22:09 IST
This treat minted at home after repeated experiments, inspired by a famous American restaurant recipe, will make your children ecstatic and will make you earn some major “cookie” points
This treat of cookies is made of corn flakes and marshmallows. Along with the chocolate chips, this is everything children love munching on. This sugary treat will ensure a fun holiday, festival, or a cheat-day at home.
History of Cornflakes and Marshmallows:
The corn flakes were invented by the Kellogg brothers -John and Will, for patients at a
Sanitarium in 1894. The patients enjoyed the cereal, and two years later, a patent for the recipe was granted in 1896. Eventually, the two brothers went their separate ways over product-related disputes.
Marshmallows derive their name from the mallow plant which grows in marshes. The squishy sweet marshmallow we know today used to be made with the root of the plant Althea Officinalis. In ancient Egypt, it was used as a medicine for flu. Later on, they started using it as a sweet dessert treat. As technology developed in the 1800s, French confectioners started experimenting with its base ingredients and flavours. Today it is not made with the traditional root but with gelatin or egg whites. It is a widely consumed treat, loved by all due to its fun colours and texture.
Lets’ see the recipe for cookies made with the marriage of these quintessential American treats.
- 1 whole Egg
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 Tsp baking powder
- 1/4 Tsp Baking soda
- 1 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 3 cups Cornflake crunch
- 1 cup Chocolate chips
- 1 cup Marshmallows
- Cornflake crunch ingredients
- 5 cups Corn Flakes
- 1/2 cup Milk powder
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 9 Tbsp Butter
- Pour the corn flakes into a ziplock bag and crush them with a rolling pin or cylinder-shaped item
- Transfer them to a medium size bowl and then add in the milk powder, sugar, and salt, stir to mix
- Next, add the melted butter and toss to combine (As you toss, the butter will act as glue, binding the dry ingredients to the cereal and creating small clusters)
- Combine the butter and both types of sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the egg and vanilla extract and beat for 7 to 8 minutes
- You can accomplish this using an electric handheld mixer as well
- Then, reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together (no longer than 1 minute)
- Next, on low speed, add in the cornflake crunch and mini chocolate chips until they are incorporated
- After that, divide the cookie dough into 1/4 cup balls, stuff 2 mini marshmallows in the centre of the dough, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour, or place it in the freezer for 30-45 minutes. (This step is critical; they must be chilled!)
- Start preheating the oven to 365° F
- Rearrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on the parchment paper and bake for 11-16 minutes (check the cookies at 11 minutes)
- The cookies will puff, crackle, and spread
- Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans before transferring them to a rack to cool completely
Serve and enjoy!