Ganesh Chaturthi special: Vinayaka Chaviti is one of the biggest Indian festivals. With the huge idols and pandals of Vighneshvara, the festivity will be observed on September 10 this year. So without missing out on tasty modaks, shower Ganpati's blessings at your home with these easy recipes.
How to make 'chocolate modak' with cocoa powder?
- 2 tbsp choco chips and cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp white chocolate and milk
- 1/2 cup khoya and sugar
- For garnishing- 2 tbsp dark chocolate flakes
- In a food processor, mix sugar, milk and khoya until soft.
- Now heat it on low flame in a heavy bottom pan.
- Now bring it to room temperature with thickening and melting it.
- Add chocolate chips and dark cocoa powder and let it cool down.
- Use ghee to lubricate the modak mould and stuff the chocolate mixture in it.
- Now in the centre, fill it with white chocolate.
- Use your fingers to press, demould it nicely while covering it with chocolate.
- Decorate with choco flakes and keep it aside for cooling before serving.
How to prepare 'puran poli modak' at home?
- 6 cup rice flour
- 4 cup water
- 4 tsp oil
- 3/4 cup sugar or jaggery and chana dal
- A squeeze of cardamom powder
- Thin saffron strands
- 2 cup water
- For outer covering, boil water, add oil and remove from heat.
- Add rice flour while avoiding lumps.
- Let the mixture cool by covering it up.
- Knead the mixture into the dough with a shimmering glossy finish.
- Wash chana dal, absorb it for an hour, then drain and discard.
- With two cups of water, cook the dal in a pressure cooker.
- Now drain the dal water within a sieve. Press the dal gently and mash a bit.
- Now add jaggery with mashed dal in a pan.
- Start cooking while heating the vessel on medium flame.
- Melt the jaggery entirely and continue cooking and stirring.
- Add saffron and cardamom when it starts thickening up. Now mix well.
- Keep the pan aside for cooling.
- For the covering, make dough balls.
- Flatten the balls on the surface or palm by placing the filling in it.
- Fold the edges by covering them entirely with dough.
- In a cooker, steam the modaks and serve.