Chicken Manchow Soup: Nutritious Bowl Topped with Fried-Noodles
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 01, 2022 15:09 IST
Perfectly seasoned chicken shredded and simmered with crispy veggies in delicious, spicy and sour broth
Hungry? Nothing soothes like a bowl of spicy and steaming warm Chicken Manchow Soup. For those who follow a balanced diet, the spice-and-vegetable-filled soup is a healthy treat. This soup also does the taste buds justice for those who only praise the flavour. This delicious dish can be quickly prepared in the kitchen using readily available ingredients. It is made with the seasonal and freshest veggies of one’s choice and is crowned with crispy-fried noodles and Chinese dressings. The richly dominant flavours of ginger and garlic in this non-vegetarian manchow soup make it perfect for boosting your mood.
Manchow Soup is a dark-brown coloured, sour and spicy broth, which can be vegetarian or nonvegetarian as well. Chow, in Indo-Chinese, refers to noodles, hence they are consumed happily with them. The origin of Manchow Soup is Meghalaya. Manchuria, the North East Asian name for this incredibly filling soup, which alludes to Manchurian, comes from India. However, the two dishes are poles apart. The famous Indo-Chinese delicacy is widely served in both local street stalls and luxurious hotels around the world.
Prep time – 1 hour
Cooking time – 40 minutes
Serving – 4 bowls
- 200 gm Chicken Breast, boneless and shredded
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3 tbsp Ginger-Green Chilli, crushed
- 10-15 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ¼ cup Bell Peppers (Yellow and Red), chopped
- 1/3 cup Carrots, chopped
- 1/3 cup Cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- Salt, as per taste
- 1 tsp Black pepper, freshly crushed
- 1 Chicken Stock Cube
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- 1 Egg
- 3 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 3 cups Water Chicken stock
- ½ cup Fried Noodles – to serve
For Chicken Stock –
- Heat enough water in a pan and add chicken breasts along with some chopped carrots. Add further minced garlic and some salt. Lastly, add a chicken stock cube. Stir and let it cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Keep observing and removing the impurities from the stock that rises up to the surface.
- Take a holed-wok and blanch some noodles in the same bowl with chicken stock. Boil them partially and not completely.
- Meanwhile, heat some oil in a pan. Add these blanched noodles and shallow fry them till crispy and golden-brown. Keep aside.
- Now, check the chicken stock and drain. Keep aside.
- Meanwhile, chop all the vegetables finely.
- Heat oil in a large vessel and add crushed ginger, chopped green chilli and minced garlic. Sauté well over high heat.
- Add in the chopped vegetables. Mix well.
- Add in the chicken stock, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Add less salt as soy sauce already has salt in it. Bring it to boil and cook until they turn soft.
- Shred the chicken breast and transfer to the boiling soup.
- Whisk an egg and add it to the soup followed by corn flour slurry to adjust the needed thickness.
- Lastly, garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Serve and enjoy!
The nutritional fibre in the veggies keeps the bowels functioning normally. This delightful broth strengthens immunity, improves metabolism, moisturises the body and gives energy all day. So, reap the advantages of Chicken Manchow Soup with this recipe. This hot and spicy soup can be the ideal accompaniment to your Hakka noodles and fried rice.