Ways To Check The Purity Of Gram Flour At Home
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : June 07, 2022 04:06 IST
Is there any impurity in the gram flour present in your kitchen? Here's a quick trick to check.
Besan plays an integral role in the Indian kitchen. Whether you want to make delicious kadhi or prepare awesome pakoras, gram flour is the hero (must-use) ingredient in both these recipes. While on the one hand, gram flour adds flavour to the food, on the other hand, it also carries numerous benefits for the body. Do you know that it is used to cure some diseases even today? Nowadays, around seven to eight brands of gram flour are readily available in the market. Unfortunately, many times, it is also seen that gram flour is adulterated too. So now, which brand to trust? What to choose? Using adulterated gram flour in meals is equal to feasting on trouble. If you also think there is impurity, you can quickly check the authenticity of the gram flour. Let’s learn how to do that at home.
What do you get in gram flour?
Before checking for contaminants, it is essential to know what is adulterated in gram flour. Based on many experts and articles, it can be said that gram flour mixed with maize flour is also sold in the market. Another report mentions that khesari dal flour has also been seen many times. Apart from this, artificial colours are mixed in wheat flour and gram flour. Sometimes, it seems very difficult to identify the natural gram flour in such a situation, but wait, it's not impossible.
How to identify adulteration in gram flour?
Test with hydrochloric acid
If you have hydrochloric acid in your house, you can quickly check whether gram flour is natural or adulterated in a few minutes.
- First, dissolve three to four spoons of gram flour in water in a vessel.
- After disbanding, add one to two teaspoons of hydrochloric acid to this mixture and leave it.
- After some time, if gram flour appears in any other colour, you can say that this gram flour is adulterated.
Test with lemon
With a mixture of lemon and hydrochloric acid, you can also check whether gram flour is adulterated or not. If khesari flour is mixed with the gram flour, it will take seconds to identify it.
- First, prepare a mixture of lemon juice and hydrochloric acid.
- Now, put this mixture on gram flour and leave it for some time.
- If gram flour appears in red, brown colour, it is understood that there is an impurity in gram flour.
What problems can be caused by contaminated gram flour?
Unfortunately, consuming adulterated gram flour can lead to not one but many issues.
- If khesari dal flour is mixed with gram flour, its consumption can cause joint pain.
- Stomach problems can also occur due to the use of contaminated gram flour.
- Sometimes chemicals are also added to gram flour that, in turn, may cause harm to the heart and brain.
If you liked this article, share it and stay connected to read more similar pieces on Slurrp.com.