It’s creamy, it’s cheesy, and it’s the perfect fusion dish that combines Italian and Indian cuisines. This Butter Chicken Pasta is so easy and hassle-free to whip that you can easily put the simple ingredients together in no time. Here’s the easy recipe that will change Friday-night dinners forever.
There is perhaps no Indian dish as globally iconic as Butter Chicken. And pasta is definitely one of the biggest Italian culinary contributions to the world. So, what happens when Butter Chicken meets pasta? A magical dish that can transform your boring Friday-night dinner into an indulgent affair!
To be fair, Butter Chicken Pasta is not an invention that’s just happened to dazzle foodies. Butter Chicken is, traditionally, a chicken-based dish with a creamy, smooth, tomato sauce that is as rich as any Italian tomato sauce. Every Indian can attest to the fact that the subtle-yet-deep flavours of Butter Chicken can beat any Bolognese or Marinara sauce at its game. This is not only because Butter Chicken has a smokey flavour but also because the addition of butter, cream and cashews—along with handpicked spices—makes the dish outstanding.
This Butter Chicken Pasta relies on those very classic and time-tested flavours. In fact, the only Italian additions to this Butter Chicken Pasta are the penne pasta, the parmesan cheese and the Italian seasoning. Sure, you could make this Butter Chicken Pasta with spaghetti or fusilli, but penne can carry the Butter Chicken gravy much better than any other form of pasta. What’s even more impressive about this Butter Chicken Pasta is that it can be made in one single pot. So, not only is whipping up this Butter Chicken Pasta easy, but there’s barely any cleaning up afterwards required! Just what you need on a Friday night, right? Here’s the recipe.
2 cups penne pasta, cooked al dente
200 g boneless chicken, cubed
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp cumin powder
½ tsp coriander powder
Salt, to taste
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp Italian seasoning
For the Butter Chicken gravy:-
1 tbsp ghee
½ tsp cumin seeds
3-4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp ginger
2 large tomatoes, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp garam masala powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp kasoori methi
Salt, to taste
½ cup water
½ cup fresh cream
2 tsp parmesan cheese, grated
1. Take a large pot and put it on a medium flame.
2. Heat ghee, then add cumin seeds, garlic cloves, ginger, onions and tomatoes.
3. Mix well, then add the cashews, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt.
4. Mix everything, add water and cover to cook until the onions and tomatoes are tender.
5. Remove the Butter Chicken gravy into a grinder jar and put the pot back on the flame.
6. Add the butter, let it melt, then add the chicken pieces.
7. Add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt.
8. Mix well, then let the chicken cook until done.
9. Meanwhile, grind the Butter Chicken gravy into a fine paste.
10. Once the chicken is cooked, add the Butter Chicken gravy, kasoori methi, Italian seasoning and mix well.
11. Pour in the fresh cream to thicken the gravy further, then add the cooked pasta and mix.
12. Switch off the flame, place the Butter Chicken Pasta on a plate and serve with parmesan cheese on top.