Avocado Grilled Sandwich: Best For A Healthy Breakfast
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 20, 2022 14:09 IST
Avocado Grilled Sandwich is simply a grilled sandwich which is a great option for a healthy breakfast!
Avocados are a native fruit of the Americas with their likely origin being Central Mexico. The trees and fruit have been cultivated by pre-Columbian civilizations from South Central Mexico for nearly 9,000 years. As such, sliced or mashed avocado has been eaten on some sort of bread, flatbread, or tortilla (often heated, toasted, or grilled) since humans first started consuming avocados, and before any documented or written history. In some countries in the Americas, avocado toast for breakfast has been such a staple in the diet that there is no documentation, nor was there a reason to document (such as in a recipe) such a basic, simple spread on toast. The Avocado Grilled Sandwich with veggies is a healthy option for those who like creaminess and textures in their dips or sauces. And since Avocado itself is bland in taste, it lends itself beautifully to other flavours such as chilies, oregano, garlic, and onions making it a tastier alternative to heavier, creamier options like mayonnaise and cream.
The consumption of avocados on bread or toast has been reported in various sources from the late 19th century onwards. In the San Francisco Bay Area, people have been eating avocado toast since at least 1885. In 1915, the California Avocado Association described serving small squares of avocado toast as an appetizer.
Grilled form of bread enhances the toasted essence of bread, which means that grilling a slice of bread makes the crust more crispy and flavours are further enriched. Grilling and toasting are two different methods of cooking. While Grilling includes a dry heart and is usually made in an electrically heat environment, toasting can be done in an open pan or griddles or even the humble tawa using only heat from underneath.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for Avocado Mixture
- 1 avocado (ripened)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp pepper (crushed)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp coriander (finely chopped)
- 2 slices bread (white or brown)
- 2 tsp green Chutney
- 3 sliced tomatoes
- ¼ tsp mixed herbs
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp butter
Method Avocado Sandwich
- In a large mixing bowl, add avocado and mash till it becomes smooth
- Add garlic, pepper, salt, lemon juice, onion, and coriander. Mix well
- Once done set aside Spread green chutney on each slice of bread
- Spread the previously prepared avocado mixture on one side of the bread and add tomato slices
- Sprinkle mixed herbs and chili flakes
- Cover one slice of bread with another
- Spread some butter on both sides of the bread
- Grill the sandwich in a pan for 1 minute on each side
- Turn off the heat and serve with some tomato ketchup
Avacado is very rich in oleic acid which is a very healthy fat and reduces cholesterol in the body improving heart health. More importantly, it improves the absorption of other nutrients!