Amritsari Chicken Masala: Authentic Amritsari Sunday Lunch
- Team Slurrp
Updated : September 03, 2022 09:09 IST
Amritsari Chicken Masala is here to make your Sunday’s perfect lunch, with rich gravy and delicious taste
Amritsari Chicken Masala is one such dish, where the uniqueness is contributed by the gravy made by adding the special garam masala. This gravy is a combination of tomato puree, onion-garlic and garam masala. This recipe is simpler, does not require much ingredients. Its unique flavour is imparted from the garam masala that makes all the difference. The classic Amritsari Chicken Masala tastes best with paratha, tehri, or mooli raita for an Indian main course lunch or dinner. Marinating the chicken with yogurt is followed by cooking the chicken in onion and tomato puree gravy. Further, continue frying the chicken till it cooks.
Amritsari Chicken Masala is also known as Chicken Makhani or Murgh. The tomato puree forms the base, into which the marinated chicken is simmered. The blend of spices to make the Amritsari garam masala contributes mainly to the flavour.
The use of boneless chicken, a blend of various spices gives it the required authentic flavour. The addition of cream or butter with the garnishing gives it the touch of Amritsar. The delicious flavour of Amritsari Chicken Masala is experienced when served with fresh cream, butter, and fresh tomatoes.
The basic of this recipe has a rich, delicious gravy, made by marination of chicken with yogurt, garam masala and turmeric and salt followed by cooking chicken pieces in onion garlic masala and tomato puree.
- 400-500 grams chicken
For Garam Masala
- Coriander seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Bay leaf
- Cinnamon stick
- Black cardamom
- Green cardamom
- Dry ginger powder
- Nutmeg powder
For Chicken Marination
- Amritsari garam masala
For Cooking Chicken
- 2 onion
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- 4 garlic cloves
- Red Chilli powder
- 1 cup Cream
- In a griddle or wok, take the whole spices- coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, black cardamom, green cardamom, dry ginger powder, nutmeg powder, peppercorns
- Roast these spices on a low-medium flame
- Let the spices cool
- Put these into a grinder jar and grind to make the flavourful Amritsari garam masala
- Add the chicken pieces, turmeric, Amristari Garam Masala, yogurt, and salt.
- Mix thoroughly and let this mixture be for at least half an hour to allow all the masala and yogurt to combine for flavour
Amristari Chicken Masala Gravy
- Start by grinding two onion, one inch ginger, one green chilli and four garlic cloves in a mixer jar
- In a kadai or wok, add about 2 tablespoons of oil, add the onion, ginger and garlic paste. Cook this till three to four minutes
- When the raw onion smell goes, add turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Mix and allow this to cook for a minute or two
- Add about one cup full tomato puree and let this cook till tomato puree start boiling
- Right after boiling starts, add marinated chicken pieces and the marinate mixture
- Let this cook for about 20 minutes. One may add some warm water to cook the chicken well
- Keep stirring in between so that the masala is absorbed properly by the chicken
- Check if the chicken is done after 20 minutes
- Finally, add cream and stir to get the consistency
- Add coriander leaves and cashew nuts as a garnish
- Serve hot with paratha, rice or kulcha, naan
Give your taste buds a heavenly treat through the authentic chicken masala from Amritsar. This recipe is one of the authentic recipes with distinct taste and aroma. Make your Sunday lunch meal special with Amritsari Chicken Masala, the genuine flavour of Amritsar, Punjab.