Move Over Nadru Yakhni: Try This Dogri Chicken Masala At Home
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Do you think Rogan Josh and Nadru Yakhni are all that Kashmir has? We are here to prove you wrong with this Dogri Chicken Masala recipe.
Just like its picturesque landscapes, Kashmir is full of a rich culinary heritage. From the delicious ‘Noon Chai’ in the morning to Rogan Josh in the night, Kashmiris engage in delectable culinary gems any time of the day. But do you know that there’s more to the Kashmiri cuisine than just Rogan Josh? One of the most delicious and unique Kashmiri dishes is Dogri Chicken Masala which is decadent, aromatic and has a distinct flavour as well. Excited to try it at home? Here is the recipe-
Preparation time- 10 minutes
Cooking time- 35 minutes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 3-4 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- An inch of ginger
- 6-7 cloves of garlic
- Half a cup of coriander stems
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1-kilogram chicken, bite-size pieces
- Salt, according to taste
- Dry roast the coriander stems for a minute or two.
- Add the roasted cilantro stems, ginger, garlic, one chopped onion, cumin, coriander and fennel seeds and grind to a smooth paste.
- In a kadhai, heat some oil and add a teaspoon of sugar. Wait until the sugar is fully caramelized.
- Add the cinnamon, cardamom pods, cloves, peppercorns and cumin seeds and fry for 10 seconds.
- Now, add the onions and fry till they are translucent.
- To the same pan, add the chopped tomatoes and mash them to cook.
- Finally, add the chicken pieces and the spices (turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder and masala paste). Cover and cook for 15 minutes on low flame.
- Remove the lid to add sugar and salt and cook till the chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and drizzle some lemon juice before serving.
Traditionally, Dogri Chicken Masala is served with rice or roti. You can serve it with an accompaniment of your choice. Try this recipe at home and it’ll leave you asking for more.