Aloo Chicken Paratha: A Sumptuous And Soft Paratha
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 26, 2022 20:08 IST
The addition of chicken to aloo paratha gives the dish a delicious twist
Aloo Paratha is a sought-after Indian comfort food. The preparation of the dish involves the parathas being filled with boiled and flavoured with minimal masalas of aloo or potato. Aloo Paratha can be experimented with by adding other ingredients. To enhance its taste and make it into a non-vegetarian dish, Aloo Paratha can be made with an extra filling of chicken. Aloo Chicken Paratha takes a little more time to make, as compared to Aloo Paratha, because the chicken needs to be boiled, shredded, and seasoned, however, it is well worth the effort as the outcome is a soft, luscious paratha.
There are several theories about where the paratha was invented, it is safe to say that the place of the flatbread originated was in the Indian subcontinent. Aloo Paratha, on the other hand, is said to have originated in Punjab, India.
Here is the recipe for Aloo Chicken Paratha.
- 250 gms chicken
- 2 potatoes
- 1 cup maida
- 1 cup wheat flour or atta
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 3 green chillies
- ½ tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp jeera powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Salt, as per taste
- A pinch of black pepper powder
- ½ chopped coriander leaves
- Ghee or melted butter
- Boil the 250 gms of chicken in water adding a pinch of salt and black pepper powder.
- Once boiled, shred the chicken into thin slices
- Add one cup of maida with one cup of wheat flour or atta, add a pinch of salt, and add water, bit by bit, to the mixture, add 2 tbsps of oil, and make a dough.
- To make a soft dough, add hot or tepid water. Cover the dough and keep aside.
- Chop the green chillies.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a pan, add one teaspoon of ginger and garlic paste, and stir.
- Add the chopped greens and saute.
- Add the jeera powder, coriander powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, and salt to taste, mix well, add 1 tbsp of water.
- Add the shredded chicken and mix well with the masalas for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add half cup of chopped coriander leaves and mix, take off from flame.
- Peel and boil the potatoes and mash with a little bit of salt and butter.
- Add the mashed potato (make sure it is dry) to the shredded chicken mix.
- The aloo and chicken should be mixed well.
- Tear small balls out of the dough and smoothen it a bit, roll the ball in maida, and with a rolling pin make a paratha.
- Fill the centre of the paratha with enough aloo and chicken mixture, fold the paratha into a bag with the filling within it, roll the paratha in maida, take a rolling pin and roll out the paratha.
- Place the paratha on a tawa and fry on both sides while pouring some melted ghee or butter, and serve the parathas hot.
- Repeat the process to make more parathas.