All Dahi Vada Lovers, Try This Zero Oil Dahi Vada
- Tanisha Salwan
Updated : September 14, 2022 11:09 IST
These vadas are even better than your regular dahi vadas!
Be it Holi or Diwali or someone coming over, dahi bhalla or dahi vada is something that has to be there. Dahi vadas are infused with several spices and flavours. This crispy vada is made of lentils and soaked in spiced curd. When topped with spices and flavoured chutneys, it becomes an ultimate delight for those inclined to chaat.
Dahi vadas have said to be associated with Mughal food. Some popular legends about its birth say that this delight was prepared in the Mughal kitchen in the 18th century. The Mughal chefs used curd, spices, and some herbs considered ideal for improving digestion and metabolism. For so many years, dahi vada has managed to stay our absolute favourite. We know that dahi vadas are fried before they are soaked in curd, which is why some health freaks avoid it. But what If we tell you that you can have dahi vada with zero oil? Yes, you read that right!
We have a quick recipe of dahi vada which is definitely going to blow your mind as this won't require even a single drop of oil. Besides, you won't need any soda as well to make the vadas fluffy. Let us see how you can make it.
- ½ cup moong dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- ¼ cup chopped cashews
- ¼ cup raisins
- Half a ginger (chopped)
- 2 green chillies (chopped)
- Handful of coriander (chopped)
- Take urad dal and moong dal and was them. Soak them overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- When done, blend them into a smoother paste. You can add chilled water while blending the dal.
- Pour the batter into a bowl and add a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the batter using an electric beater until it turns into a cream-like consistency.
- Beat the mixture until you see a thick consistency. When you flip the bowl, the mixture should not fall.
- When done, place a spoonful of batter into the idli maker.
- Add a filling of raisins, cashews and coriander inside the vada.
- Steam them for 15 minutes.
- When it is cooled, unmould the vadas and put them into salted water for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Squeeze the excess water and set them on a plate.
- Add beaten curd, tamarind chutney, green chutney and some boondi.
- Sprinkle some black salt, red chilli powder, chaat masala and cumin powder.
- Garnish with some coriander and you are done.
Let us know if you liked this healthier version of dahi vada!