7 Health Benefits Of Sunflower Seeds
- Madhur Chaturvedi
Updated : June 19, 2022 15:06 IST
From aiding detoxification to helping in weight loss, these super seeds can be beneficial in a lot of ways
Sunflower seeds, which are actually the fruits of sunflowers, are loaded with high-quality nutrients. Shelled in the white and black hulls, these are known for their mild and nutty flavour, which makes them perfect for adding the crunch in your daily meals. You can dry roast them or can have them raw. With a long shelf life, this one seed is a must-have in every kitchen.
30 grams of shelled, dry-roasted sunflower seeds contains:
• Calories: 163
• Protein: 5.5 grams
• Total fat: 14 grams
• Fibre: 3 grams
• Carbs: 6.5 grams
• Niacin: 10% of the RDI
• Iron: 6% of the RDI
• Vitamin E: 37% of the RDI
• Vitamin B6: 11% of the RDI
• Zinc: 10% of the RDI
• Magnesium: 9% of the RDI
*RDI= Recommended Dietary Intake
Here are the health benefits of these super seeds:
1. Aid Detoxification: Sunflower seeds contain zinc, which is very essential for haemoglobin production, and are also high in magnesium, which helps in detoxifying and in flushing the toxins out from our body.
2. Reduce Inflammation: Sunflower seeds are a blessing for those suffering from short-term or chronic inflammation. These contain flavonoids, Vitamin E and other plant compounds which have anti-inflammatory properties and can help in reducing the inflammation.
3. Help In A Healthy Heart: Sunflower seeds are rich in Vitamin E, magnesium and potassium. They are packed with healthy fats, including polyunsaturated fats and monounsaturated fats, which are good for improving heart health. They also help in managing the cholesterol and blood pressure levels in your body.
4. Improve The Skin: If you want a naturally-glowing skin, these seeds can be your go-to food. They contain fatty acids, minerals, zinc, and Vitamin E, which help in preventing ageing, building collagen and elastin, which smoothens the skin tissues and leaves you glowing.
5. Help Reduce The Risk Of Cancer: Strong antioxidants in sunflower seeds like Beta-sitosterol help in preventing breast cancer. They thwart the growth of cancerous cells, and also prevent metastasis. Consuming them can also reduce the chances of colon cancer.
6. Improve Hair Health: Selenium is a very important mineral for hair growth, and sunflower seeds are rich in it. Consuming them regularly can boost hair growth. The other nutrients like Vitamin B3, manganese, copper, and zinc also have positive effects on the scalp, and can make your hair lustrous and beautiful.
7. Aid Weight Loss: Sunflower seeds are high in proteins and fibre, which curb your hunger pangs and keep you full for a longer time. The copper in sunflower seeds helps in using more of the fat for energy. By adding them in your daily diet, you can reduce your weight in a healthy way.
You can incorporate these little super seeds in you daily meals as:
• Toppers on a salad
• Mixing with yoghurt
• Crushed into smoothies
• Adding into oatmeal
• Sprinkling over stir-fry vegetables
• Adding into baked batter
You can have around 30 grams of sunflower seeds in a day. As with any other excesses, over-consumption of sunflower seeds may have side effects such as stomach ache, nausea, itching around the mouth, constipation, and skin rashes. So, eat them in moderation and enjoy their many health benefits.