This is a mouthwatering dish that is prepared with tomatoes and onions in a paste of cashew nuts and coconut, simmered in spices
Mushy, tangy, slightly spicy, Tomato Curry is a South Indian dish that melts in your mouth. This delicious preparation can be quickly cooked and eaten for breakfast, as a side dish, or even as a light meal. One can play around with the ingredients to make the recipe as per their taste, but the essence of the dish must be retained.
Tomato Curry comprises tomatoes and onions, which are cooked in a unique paste. The spices and masalas only add taste to the curry but do not dominate the dish. It is only the luscious flavour of tomatoes and the paste, in which the curry is prepared, which renders the curry its characteristic texture.
Tomato Curry is prepared with tomatoes and onions that are cooked in a creamy paste of cashew nuts and coconut, flavoured in spices, cooked with mild masalas, and garnished with coriander leaves. All the ingredients render a piquant flavour to it. Tomato Curry satisfies craving for a sour and spicy dish.
It is a healthy dish as tomatoes are good for the heart, and are rich in potassium, Vitamin B, and Vitamin E, among other nutrients. Further, it consists of lycopene that gives the vegetable its colour and is said to protect cells from damage.
The method of cooking the Tomato Curry involves braising the tomatoes in either yoghurt or water or a creamy seed paste. Here is the recipe.
• 2 large tomatoes
• 1 big onion
• ½ a coconut
• 1 tsp cumin seeds
• 1 tsp fennel seeds
• 1 bay leaf
• 2 dry red chilies
• Refined oil
• ¼ tsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp red chilli powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 3 cloves
• 1 cardamom
• Salt, as per taste
• Coriander leaves, for garnishing
• Cut the onion into small pieces.
• Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
• Grate the half coconut.
• In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon refined oil, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaf and saute a bit.
• Add onions and cook until translucent.
• Add the chopped tomatoes.
• Saute all the ingredients on medium flame.
• Cover the pan and wait till the tomatoes are soft.
• Add salt, as per taste
• Add turmeric powder.
• Add red chilli powder.
• Add coriander powder.
• Mix everything well.
• Cover the pan and let it simmer.
• In a mixie, add the grated coconut, two dry red chilis, 3 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, cardamoms, and a little bit of water, and make a paste.
• Add the paste to the cooking tomatoes and onions, and mix well.
• Cover the pan and let it cook for two minutes.
• Open the cover and mix well.
• Add a little bit of sugar and mix well.
• Take off from fire.
• Serve hot.
Tomato Curry is usually eaten with chapatis, rotis or idlis, but it can also be served with neer dosa.