Tangy And Spicy Mango Rice
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 15, 2022 07:08 IST
A well-suited dish for a light and delightful meal
The summer season means mangoes. Many of us wait for this season just to have this amazing and juicy fruit. These mangoes are used to prepare several dishes as well such as mango pickle, mango chutney, mango shakes and many others. One of the tangy and spicy dishes which can be prepared with raw mangoes is Mango rice. Vegan and comforting, this Mango rice is filled with tempting flavours.
It's a spicy dish which originated in South India. The recipe has a beautiful balance of sweet and spicy flavours, unripe mangoes give the dish perfect sourness and fresh coconut gets the credit for providing mild sweetness to the dish and the fieriness is because of the red chillies.
The appearance of the dish is simple but every bite of the dish is loaded with mouth-watering flavours. Mango rice can be served as a main dish along with some chips, papad, tomato chutney or peanut chutney. It can also be considered a side dish.
Here’s how to prepare delicious Mango Rice.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 1 small-sized Raw Mango
- 2 to 3 tsp Grated Coconut
- 2 Green Chillies
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Handful of Coriander Leaves
- 4 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Split Black Gram Lentil
- 1/2 Cumin Seeds
- 2 Broken Red Chillies
- 2 to 3 pieces of Peanuts
- Curry Leaves
- Take a pressure cooker, put raw rice and 1 cup of water. Cook it for 3 whistles and keep it in simmer for approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Please note raw rice to water ratio is mostly 1:2, you can keep it according to the rice used.
- Once the rice gets cooked, take it out from the cooker and spread them on a plate and keep it aside for a while to cool down to the room temperature before using them further.
- Now, grate raw mango with a grater and chop coriander leaves as well. Once done, keep them aside for a while.
- Next, put all these ingredients- grated coconut, grated mango, green chillies, salt, asafoetida and turmeric powder into a blender and grind them together. Mango rice mix is ready to use.
- Take a pan and add coconut oil, mustard seeds, split black gram lentils, cumin seeds, broken red chillies and curry leaves. Now heat it on a medium flame. When the mustard seeds splutter and lentils turn their colour to slightly brown put peanuts as well and stir them together for a while.
- Next, put mango rice mix on the plate which has rice in it already. Now, mix them for approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
- Now garnish it with coriander leaves before serving.
- Finally, delightful and tasty mango rice is ready to serve.
Important Points To Note:
- You don’t have to prepare Mango Rice with fresh rice. You can also use leftover rice to prepare the recipe.
- If you want you can also put a bit of jaggery while blending mango rice mix. It tastes well.