These Scrumptious Coconut Recipes Are Perfect For A South Indian Feast At Home
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Delightful recipes to be prepared with dry and fresh coconut.
Come the summer season, and our eyes would search for coconut water! Even a tiny sip has the power to rejuvenate immediately. One of the incredible things about coconut is, you can savour it fresh or in the dried form of dry fruits, powder and even coconut milk! Many of us try our hands-on popular coconut recipes. But, when it comes to South Indian food, rich coconut flavour curries make the cuisine famous. Bringing to light here, we present our top south Indian coconut delicacies.
You May Also Like
Recipe: Try this scrumptious Broccoli and Cheddar Frittata for at-home brunch
Give your Holi feast a healthy twist with this scrumptious baked gujiya recipe
Recipe: Enjoy a scrumptious dinner of chicken in coconut milk with sesame noodle
Slurrp Exclusive: This Christmas Cookies Recipe By Sanjeev Kapoor Is Perfect For A Guilt-Free Feast
These Chocolate Cocktail Recipes Are Perfect For House Party
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- 2 and 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 and 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 piece peeled ginger
- 4 peeled garlic cloves
- 5 ounces spinach
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems
- Indian flatbread or cooked rice for serving
- Mix chicken with salt, pepper and curry powder in a bowl.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wide skillet. Cook for 2 minutes after adding onions.
- Purée ginger, garlic and coconut milk in a blender.
- Add chicken and milk coconut mixture to skillet and occasionally toss until chicken is cooked through (8-9 minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tsp oil in a bit of skillet. Add mustard seeds, cashews and stir until lightly browned and fragrant. Shift the batter to a container immediately.
- Fold the spinach into the chicken mixture and cook for about 1 minute. Divide among bowls. Top with cashew mixture and cilantro.
Serve with naan or rice alongside.
Coconut Prawns Dry
- 15 deveined, peeled prawns (tail-on if possible)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 beaten egg whites
- Oil for frying
- Cut the prawns down the back so that they lay flat.
- Combine garlic, kosher salt and flour in a bowl. Beat egg whites in a different bowl. In a third bowl, mix coconut and bread crumbs.
- Coat all the prawns with flour, dip in egg batter and press into the coconut mixture. At this point, refrigerate the prawns for up to 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a big skillet. Sprinkle some bread crumbs into the oil; the oil is hot enough if they sizzle. Begin frying the prawns (about 3 minutes) until cooked through. Transfer to a dish and leave it to cool slightly before serving.