Ragi Malt Buttermilk- The Ultimate Cooler For The Summers
- Ashmeet Guliani
Updated : August 02, 2022 03:08 IST
Summer is here, and we're craving cold drinks. What better way to quench our thirst than with this Ragi Malt from Karnataka?
Karnataka is a state in South India that is noted for its wildlife, heritage sites, coastlines, and spectacular waterfalls. Apart from that, Karnataka is well-known for its food, which includes everything from 'Bisi Bele Bhaat' to 'butter Mysore dosa'. Every food they serve is wonderful. But today we're not going to talk about their snacks or meals; instead, we're going to talk about something we really need to cool down this summer: 'Ragi Malt,' a well-known drink from Karnataka that is slowly gaining traction in other states.
Ragi powder (finger millet) and buttermilk are used to make this drink. It's the perfect refreshing and energising drink for the summer.
Ragi flour, also called 'Nachini,' is derived from ragi grain, which has a cooling effect on the body. Though it has a bland flavour, it is delicious when blended with buttermilk or chaas. It is also one of the most affordable grains on the market.
The best part is that it takes only 15 minutes to prepare.
We've all had 'thandi lassi' in the summer; this is identical to it with the exception that it contains ragi powder. Depending on our preferences, we can make it savoury or sweet.
Follow this quick recipe to make Ragi Malt Drink at home-
• Ragi flour (3-4 tbsp)
• Curry leaves
• Salt, cumin powder, asfoetida (hing)
• chopped onion
• Cilantro/ coriander leaves
• Water -3 cups
• Boil 2 ½ cups of water on high heat, meanwhile mix the ragi flour in the remaining ½ cup water and stir it. (no lumps should be there)
• Once the water comes to the boil, slowly add the ragi flour and keep stirring it.
• Cook for 2-3 minutes, turn off the heat and keep it aside to cool.
• Once cooled add your ragi mixture to the buttermilk, add all the spices, onion along with coriander and blend it until smooth.
• Add ice cubes or let it chill for 2 hours.
• Serve chilled garnished with cilantro leaves.
We are sure this can become your go-to drink to cool down in the summer season. This drink has a natural cooling effect as well as a delicious taste.