Try These Nutritious Assamese Dishes For Breakfast
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : April 10, 2022 15:04 IST
Do you want to try something healthy and tasty for breakfast? Then include these unique Assamese dishes in your diet.
Being your day’s first meal, breakfast is always considered a substantial part of your diet. Moreover, a nutritious and tasty breakfast fuels my body and mind. However, every day, the question arises in my mind: what new and delicious food should be cooked today as having the same breakfast daily is quite dull. Some people often compromise their health and resort to oily food to make their breakfast tasty. However, you don’t need to do this, though. Many such popular Assamese dishes are both healthy and delicious. Here’re a few that can be added to your breakfast menu.
Kholasapori Pitha, also known as Hazamukhi Pitha, is an Assamese rice crepe that can be made in just 20 minutes. To make this:
- Prepare a batter by mixing 1 cup powdered rice, cup chopped onion, cup grated carrot and water in a large bowl.
- Whisk so that there're no lumps in the batter. Now heat an earthen pan, or you can use any frying pan.
- Add a little mustard oil and pour the batter over it.
- Spread it around in a round shape and let it cook with the lid on for a minute.
- Flip it and cook well on the other side. Finally, you can serve it with fried potatoes or ketchup.
This rice cake recipe deserves your attention if you like to start your day with something sweet. Tekeli Pitha is a steamed dish made with grated coconut and jaggery. To make this:
- First, knead a soft dough by mixing 10 tbsp rice flour, 10 tbsp grated coconut, 2 tbsp sugar or jaggery and three-fourth cup water in a bowl.
- Take some mixture and transfer it into a small bowl. Press it with your fingers to shape the rice cake.
- Transfer the cakes to a greased plate and steam them for 15-20 minutes.
- You can use sweet cream or curd in it.
Jolpan translates to jalpan in Hindi, meaning breakfast or refreshment or snack. This traditional Assamese breakfast item consists of sira or poha, curd, cream and jaggery or sugar. This makes a delicious bowl and is considered exceptionally healthy. To make this:
- For 5 minutes, soak 1 cup of poha in water, and then wash it for 2 to 4 minutes.
- Then take a bowl, spread a layer of washed poha, add 1 tsp fresh cream and 2 to 3 tbsp curd.
- Use jaggery or sugar, as per your taste.