Move Over Milk; Here Are Top Five Calcium Rich Foods To Eat
Image Credit: Healthifyme

Calcium is one of the primary nutrients which helps in strengthening the bones. This dietary nutrient is available in many edible forms – especially when drinking a glass of milk everyday is not your cup of tea, pun not intended. It is said that 99% of the calcium absorbed by the body goes into making teeth and bones stronger along with the remaining 1% reserved for blood stream and tissues. We’ve put together a list of five calcium rich foods to include in your diet, that could just as easily replace a glass of milk and provide equal amounts of calcium to the body.

Dairy Products 

Dairy products like yoghurt and farmstead cheeses are excellent sources of calcium. They are also often fortified with vitamin D, which aids in calcium absorption. Dairy products are also known to be the best sources of calcium, which the body can absorb relatively easily.

Leafy Green Vegetables

Vegetables like kale, spinach, collard greens, and broccoli are packed with calcium. Eating these greens in cooked form allows for the body to absorb calcium easily as well as be enriched with essential vitamins and minerals, essential for overall well-being.

Also Read:

Top Ways To Incorporate Calcium Into Your Diet


Eating or including half a cup of roasted soybeans in your salads, stews and even soup provides the body with at least 119 milligrams of calcium, making it an ideal source to consume for those who follow meatless or vegan diets.


Almonds are a great source of calcium and provide additional health benefits such as healthy fats and vitamin E. They make for a nutritious snack or can be added to salads, oatmeal, or baked goods. Soaking a handful of almonds overnight and consuming them first thing in the morning has also known to help with slow release of energy in the body, keeping one going through the day without any energy dips.


Rich in vitamin D and known to be an excellent non-dairy source of calcium, eating just 150 grams of salmon, fresh or tinned, can provide the body with 180 grams of calcium. Being a fatty fish, salmon is also a rich source of good fats and minerals, making it a great food to consume for good eye health as well.