Make Way For Some Bread Dumplings
- Ashmeet Guliani
Updated : August 21, 2022 02:08 IST
You may have heard about several types of dumplings but have you ever heard of bread dumplings?
Dumplings are becoming increasingly popular among people all around the world. Dumplings come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and flavours. Whether it's gyoza dumplings, wonton dumplings, or mandu dumplings, they're all delicious. It's a huge hit with the public. But, have you ever heard of bread dumplings?
Although it is not widely available in our country but, it is a staple in Central and Eastern Europe. It is mostly a Czech Republic native, and it is part of their national culinary tradition. These are also known as 'houskov knedlk,' and are often made using flour, eggs, stale bread cubes, and milk. After that, they are cooked, diced, or sliced, and served. They're usually served with chicken roast gravies, but other meat gravies can be used as well.
They claim that a warm piece of dumpling tastes well with hot gravies, making their experience enjoyable.
These are sometimes served with soups, broths, stews, and braised meats. While the original recipe calls for boiling the dumplings, many people have tried pan-frying or deep-frying them with good results. Though these dumplings can be served with soups, stews, or meat gravies, some people prefer to put them on a charcuterie board alongside salami, ham, cheese, sauerkraut, relishes, and mustard sauce. Bread dumplings are a delicious snack in addition to being a component of a dinner.
You can make your own batch of Bread Dumplings by following this simple recipe:
• 4 cups all purpose flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 1-2tsp salt
• 2 egg yolks (large)
• 10 slices of white bread without crust. ( cut them into small cubes)
• Any gravy of your choice
• Parsley for garnishing
• Gather all the ingredients and whisk together, flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and put it aside.
• Whisk together egg yolks and milk in a separate bowl.
• Pour the egg mixture in the flour mix
• Work this mixture into a dough until it does not feel sticky anymore. Cover and set it aside for one hour.
• Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 1 tsp salt into it.
• Add all the cubes of bread into the dough and mix it until it is well incorporated.
• Shape the dough in loaf shapes and put it into the boiling water and let it cook for 15-20 minutes.
• Take it out and cut it into dumpling shapes
• Serve it with your hot gravies or soups.
This is how simple it is to make a traditional Czech Republic dish at home. It can be eaten as a meal or a snack, and it is also fairly satisfying. While we may not be able to travel to Europe anytime soon, we can certainly bring it to our tables.
It's a unique dish, and you can just substitute these bread dumplings for your chapatis or paranthas on occasion. It will undoubtedly give your dinner a new flavour and dimension. This is a concept that your friends and family will undoubtedly enjoy.