Little Millet Upma for A Healthy Breakfast
- Preeti Deepa
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
Want a healthy and wholesome breakfast recipe? This little millet Upma has got you covered.
When it comes to breakfast, one has to keep a lot of things in mind before deciding on the dish. A good breakfast should be healthy, filling, wholesome, and delicious as well. Does anything come to your mind while reading these adjectives? Well, if you ask me, I’ll mention a delicious dish which I came to know about recently. The dish is a healthier version of the South Indian Upma and is made with little millets. Little millets, regionally known as Samai or Kutki is a gluten-free grain popularly known for its nutritional values. Being high in protein, fiber, and antioxidants than regular grains like rice and wheat, little millets have emerged to be healthier alternatives. They are believed to cure some serious ailments like cancer, diabetes, balance cholesterol levels, and assist digestion. So, to sort your breakfast game, here is the recipe for little millets Upma. Try it out and let us know how it turned out.
Preparation time- 15 minutes
Cooking time- 15 minutes
Total time- 30 minutes
- 1 cup little millets
- 2 onions, chopped
- ¼ cup beans, chopped
- 2 tbsp peas
- ¼ cup capsicum, chopped
- ¼ cup carrot, chopped
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt, according to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp grated ginger
- 5-6 curry leaves
- Rinse and soak the little millets in water for at least 15 minutes.
- Add coconut oil in a Kadai followed by mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients mentioned for tempering.
- Add the chopped onions and saute till they are translucent.
- Now, add the chopped veggies and salt and let them cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add a cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Drain the water from the soaked little millets and add them to the boiling water.
- Cover and cook the little millets till all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the Upma from the heat and add grated coconut, coriander leaves and lime juice.
- Give the Upma a good mix and serve!
You can serve this Upma along with any chutney of your choice and enjoy a hearty breakfast.