Leftover Bread? Reuse And Make A Flavourful Halwa At Home
- Ritisha Garg
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
There are so many dishes you can make with leftover bread at home. So get your hands on this homemade bread halwa that is too delicious to resist.
Halwa is a must-have Indian dessert on occasions or during the festive season because the delectable, rich taste of a creamy bowl of halwa leaves us in awe every time we take a spoonful of it. The rich and creamy flavours mingle up together and deliver a heavenly bite of goodness that almost makes our hearts skip a beat. We have Navratri, Dussehra, and Diwali coming up in less than a month, so wouldn’t it be a great pleasure to treat yourself and your family to a tasty and quick homemade halwa? We have a halwa you can make with leftover bread by creating breadcrumbs that are simmered in rich desi ghee, flavoured with kesar and garnished with dry fruits.
Sate your uncontrollable urge to eat sweets after having savoury food with this halwa made with leftover bread. Here are the steps to look out for a while making this halwa at home.
You May Also Like
- 8-10 leftover pieces of bread
- Half cup sugar
- ¼ tablespoon kesar
- 2 tablespoons desi ghee
- Mixed dry fruits ( cashew nuts, almonds, raisins)
- 1 cup of water
Steps in the making-
- If you have corners of bread or simply some leftover bread slices, then toast them until crispy.
- Then grind it in a mixer grinder. Make breadcrumbs out the same and then measure it in the cup. If you have a cup of breadcrumbs, then take half a cup of sugar. Make sure to take sugar in half the quantity as breadcrumbs.
- Now heat a pan by adding two tablespoons of ghee. Saute the breadcrumbs till it turns slightly brown. Then add water and sugar, kesar into the pan.
- Crush all the dry fruits and sprinkle them over your halwa. On a low flame, cook the mixture for at least 10 minutes after covering it with a lid.
- Once ready, garnish with some more dry fruits and serve hot!
Whether there’s an occasion or not, sweeten your day with this homemade bread halwa.