Lauki Ki Kheer: Make A Nutritious Summer Dessert With This Quick Recipe
- Tavishi Dogra
Updated : January 20, 2022 05:01 IST
'To add some nutrients to your summer dessert, make Kheer with Lauki (Bottle Gourd)' says Holistic Nutritionist Shikha Mahajan.
Lauki (Bottle Gourd) is a perfect thirst quencher due to the high antioxidants and minerals. It has a cooling effect on the body and keeps the stomach heat low. The high amount of water content in lauki keeps the body hydrated and helps to beat the heat. Extremely high in potassium and iron, lauki also helps control weight and hypertension in check, aids digestion, keeps anxiety and sleep disorders away and helps prevent premature greying of hair.
Lauki Ki Kheer Recipe By Holistic Nutritionist Shikha Mahajan and Founder of Diet Podium
- 2 litre Milk
- 250 grams Bottle gourd (lauki), peeled, de-seeded, washed and grated
- 2 tablespoons Ghee
- 1/2 cup Sugar, (add more if required)
- 5 Saffron strands
- 3/4 tablespoon Cardamom Powder (Elaichi)
- 5 Pistachios, chopped finely
- 5 Whole Almonds (Badam), sliced
- 1 teaspoon Chironji
- Firstly, boil milk in a heavy-bottomed pan on medium flame till it comes to a boil. Then switch to low-heat and boil till it is reduced to ½ of its quantity.
- Once it is almost close to the condensed state, add saffron, cardamom, almonds and sugar. Stir well and simmer until the quantity becomes less.
- While boiling, keep stirring it occasionally so that the milk does not get burnt and scrape the sides as well. Once done, set the milk aside.
- Heat ghee in another heavy-bottomed pan; add in the grated lauki, and sauté on medium heat until the lauki turns soft and tender.
- Stir in the cooked lauki to the condensed milk and simmer for another 10 minutes until the flavours come out from the lauki and the kheer is thickened. Turn off the flame and shift the dessert into a serving dish. The Kheer will condense as the temperature come down.
- Garnish the Lauki Kheer with chopped pistachios and serve chilled.