An easy recipe for a healthy and tasty Kohlrabi Kurma that would perfectly pair with your dosa
Green turnips in Kurma sounds interesting, right? Green turnip, popularly known as kohlrabi, is a member of the cabbage family. Though it originated in Europe, it's not a stranger to Indian kitchen. It is a staple vegetable that goes with different names in various languages. In Kashmir, it is called Monj-Hakh, in Maharashtra Navalkol and it goes with the common name, Nookol or Knol Khol in Telugu and Tamil. You can eat it raw or cooked. Kohlrabi is low in calories and high in dietary fibre, making it an excellent part of any diet. According to some leading media publications, Kohlrabi is packed with nutrients and antioxidants that may support immune health and lower your risk of chronic disease. Also, its fibre content supports a healthy gut microbiome.
Here is an easy recipe for a healthy and tasty Kohlrabi Kurma that would perfectly pair with your Dosa:
1. First, grind the coconut along with the onion to a smooth paste and set aside.
2. Take a pressure cooker, heat oil and add all the ingredients mentioned for temper. Feel the aroma of the spices frying in oil.
3. Add in the onion and sauté till it turns pink.
4. Then tomatoes, curry leaves and ginger garlic paste.
5. Add in a pinch of sugar while frying, this enhances the taste and color of the Kurma.
6. Add the chopped Kohlrabi and sauté for a minute.
7. Then add the Masala and salt and fry it for 2 more minutes.
8. Add about 1/2 a cup of water and pressure cook for three whistles.
9. After cooker cools down open it and add the ground coconut mix.
10. Allow it to boil for not more than a minute and switch off the stove.
11. Transfer it to the serving bowl and garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Dosa.