Instant And Healthy Bottle Gourd Idli
- Team Slurrp
Updated : August 09, 2022 03:08 IST
Rich in Vitamins and Minerals, Make Bottle Gourd a part of your daily diet
Sunny day, bright light and in a mood to eat something to maintain a healthy diet then try bottle gourd idli which is also known as sorekayi idli. Loaded with fibre, it is an ideal dish for a nutritious breakfast or dinner. This quick and easy-to-make recipe is prepared with ingredients which are easily available in the market or are already at home. The best thing about this idli is it keeps you full for hours.
Not many people are fond of bottle gourd and find it difficult to have it but this delicious recipe gives you the advantage of eating those vegetables which you don’t like much. The batter of this idli is blended so well that you will like its overall taste and there will be no difficulty in consuming the vegetable you dislike. The fluffy idli can be paired with sambhar or chutney or you can have it alone as well by making it spicy. This steamed recipe is liked by people of all ages.
Here's a step-by-step method for how to prepare the bottle of gourd idli instantly at home. Let’s dig into the recipe!
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Half cup bottle gourd or 1.5 cups grated bottle gourd
- 1 cup medium rava
- 1 cup yoghurt (whisked curds)
- 1/2 to 1 cup of water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves chopped
- To Temper:
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp white lentils
- 1/2 tsp chickpea lentils
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- Firstly, take rice and wash and soak them for at least 2 hours
- Take a bottle of gourd and chop it into big pieces. Remove the seeds from it
- Now, take soaked rice, chopped bottle gourd, salt as per your taste and coconut in a grinder. Grind the ingredients into a coarse batter. Also, add half a cup of water while grinding
- Now take the batter and transfer it into a bowl and put some rava to it. Mix them well and add some water if needed to maintain the consistency of the idli batter. Next, put together seasonings with mustard seeds and curry leaves and add them as well. Pour this idli batter over an idli steamer plate
- Steam cook them for around 20 minutes. Once the idlis are steamed, take a knife and cut them into the desired shapes
- Bottle gourd idle is ready to serve. You can offer them with sambhar, coconut chutney or some other chutney
- Try to buy a bottle of gourd which has less or no seeds for this recipe
- You can immediately cook this idli once the batter is ready. You don’t have to ferment it before
- You can put or remove the seasoning as per your taste
- The dish can also be made spicy by adding some green chilli paste to the batter
- Idli is a healthy meal option and can be prepared with a variety of vegetables and lentils.