Cooking achaari gobhi is all about cooking with perfection, every ingredient should be in a balanced amount in order to make a finger-licking authentic Lucknow style dish.
Here’s how you can cook gobhi exactly in a Lucknowi style.
- One medium-sized gobhi ( Cauliflower )
- 3 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- ¼ tsp black onion seeds
- 2 green chilli ( chopped )
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- Pinch of asafoetida
- One medium onion ( finely chopped )
- 2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Salt to taste
- 2 tsp dried mango powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Fresh coriander leaves ( for garnish )
- In a blender, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds and black onion seeds. Grind until you get a thick mixture. Add the green peppers separately with a pinch of salt and grind them into a paste. Keep this paste aside.
- Heat the oil in a submerged pan over medium heat. Add a pinch of asafoetida and blended spice paste. Stir it for 20 seconds and add onion. Cook for 12 minutes, stir well. When onions start to soften, add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for another minute.
- Add turmeric and mix well. Now, add cauliflower and coriander seeds. Cook for 2-3 minutes until gobhi turns light golden brown, stirring constantly.
- Add 150 ml of water and green chillies. Mix well and cook on high flame with the lid covered in the pan. Cook for 12-15 minutes. Stir the gobhi a few times.
- Add dried mango powder and sugar and continue to cook for one minute. Garnish with freshly chopped coriander.
Tip: Serve achaari gobhi hot with roti or pulao.